Sunday, January 16, 2011

Roli Delgado talks win over Turan Hasanov at Friday Night Fights


MTA: Did you see the comments Turan made about hardly training for you, and that he was disappointed in having to fight you?

Roli: I actually heard from the promoter at weigh ins about his comments. I told my team that I didn't want to look, hear or talk about it. The fight is the fight, I've had 29 fights including kickboxing & MMA and the only thing that matters is what happens in the cage/ring.


MTA: If so did these comments give you any extra motivation to make sure you came out of there with a win?

Roli: I kind of knew that he would take me lightly. The degree that he did was crazy though. I mean, I just can't imagine talking so much sh&% and not training hard for the fight. It didn't give me extra motivation, it was just an observation. Had I read his interview where he disrespected me and MMA in general, it would have upset me, that's why I didn't read it. My friends did and I know it bothered them. 

MTA: What do you think was the biggest factor in you being able to outwork him to earn the unanimous decision?

Roli: I didn't really out work him in the fight. My activity level was below what we trained for. There were so many levels of training for this fight and pretty much all of our fights at Westside MMA. The money in this sport is 2nd, winning is first, so we really don't take any shortcuts in training.

Aaron Fisher, who in my experience which is some what limited, is one of or the best Muay Thai coaches. I don't know Muay Thai, I know he wasn't a World Champion but he was a real fighter and really understands how to teach. He helped me in the clinch and with my kicking range. He and I have been working with each other for a few years now, normally a week at a time. So in the clinch I was able to dominate Turan because of the tactical and technical advice of Aaron.

The 2nd factor was the boxing, Turan is an open book when it comes to his attacks so it was easy to work our defense into the game. I've trained extensively with the best boxing coach in Little Rock, Kevin Lightburn and so do all of my professional fighters. My MMA coach Matt Hamilton is a very good boxing coach as well so our ability to implement the boxing with the Muay Thai wasn't a revolutionary thing but a very good thing! 

As far as the fight was concerned, I just am a much better striker than him. It's easy to watch old fights of me or anyone and nit pick them, but in the UFC everyone is a beast. This idea that MMA strikers aren't any good is silly. There is a very apparent undertone of elitism in the Muay Thai guys, and the reality is, it's just striking. They aren't even doing Muay Thai on the east coast, if you are not elbowing it's just kickboxing with knees and sweeps. Heck, for that matter, MMA has more REAL Muay Thai than these events. So, I basically showed what we do in MMA, we train striking about 50% of the time, it's really not that different. I just happen to be a much better striker than Turan and it showed in the fight.

MTA: Now you mentioned before its a one time thing. After coming in an beating a Muay Thai fighter at his own game, it doesn't make you want to get in there and do it again?

Roli: Actually there is definitely a degree of that, I loved the challenge of fighting Muay Thai and it definitely is going to give me a boost in my MMA fights. However, I'm no fool, I realize there are some real studs out there. I really like Justin Greskiewicz style, he is a very talented Muay Thai fighter who is a lot more of a traditional Thai fighter. These guys who do this full time would definitely have an advantage over me. So unless there is a big change in the money I am going to continue working my Jiu Jitsu, Catch Wrestling and all around MMA.

MTA: Any comments, thoughts, or opinions you want your fans, detractors, future opponents, or anyone to know?

Roli: Comment wise I'd like to say that this experience has been amazing. I have a lot of support with my teammates at C3 Athletics, we are training together a lot now and it's been great. Stamford is my 2nd home now and for this fight I had almost my whole team here. All my C3 guys came up, my best boxing sparring partner, my MMA coach, my Muay Thai coach, my #1 pro MMA fighter and sparring partner, Rick, Sean, Roger, hell we were all together like a family pulling together. That is why I love this sport. That is why I love and do MMA. It's about the brotherhood and pulling together for each other. Aaron Fisher flied down with his wife and spent the holidays training me for free! My boxing coach and MMA coach went out of their way to train me at all hours of the night and C3 helped me get everyone together so I could mentally be ready. Believe me, having everyone together helped keep my mind right and sharp. I need to be surrounded by my people, good people and Friday that's exactly what I had. Be on the look out, we might put some more of my MMA fighters in Muay Thai fights up here just for the experience and to represent the MMA striking ;)
Muay Thai Authority Muay Thai and Kickboxing News Site

Bringing you the latest in Muay Thai and Kickboxing news.

No comments:

Post a Comment