Thursday, October 10, 2013

Joseph Valtellini talks upcoming fight with Karim Ghajji at Glory 11 in Chicago


Joseph Valtellini has taken the Kickboxing world by storm since his debut for Glory at Glory 6 in Istanbul, Turkey earlier this year. His crisp combinations of punches and leg kicks mixed with his move forward style have made him a fan favorite. Valtellini will look to reel off his third straight victory under the Glory banner when takes on Karim Ghajji this weekend at Glory 11 in Chicago. Valtellini was kind enough to take time from his busy training schedule to talk to us about his upcoming fight with Ghajji. 

MTA: Big fight coming up against Karim Ghajji. How has your training camp been going?
Joseph: Training camp went amazing for this fight. I knew for about 10 weeks that I was fighting Ghajji, so I had a lot of time to prepare. My main training partner Troy Sheridan is also fighting on the card, so it was more intense than usually. There was no such thing as light sparring because we continually wanted the best from each other.  We were both pushing each other and peaking at the same time, so I really felt that it really took both of our games to a new level.

MTA: Have you done anything different in this training camp than past training camps?
Joseph: Training camp is basically always the same. Why fix something that isn't broken. The only things that may change are specific areas of focus that my coach believes I can improve on.

MTA: What would you say is the most difficult part of training for your fights and why?
Joseph: My team and I have everything down to a science and created a routine and schedule which works really well for me. But the hardest part for me is balancing my career as a teacher and the extra demands of training. I make sure I really take advantage of my rest days.

MTA: As usual you are the underdog in experience, yet that has not held you back at all in your career. What do you think is the biggest factor in the experience gap between you and your opponents not being a factor?
Joseph: I strongly believe it's the confidence and the belief that my coaches and team have in me. If my coach says I will win, I will go in the ring with 100% confidence. Being surrounded with such supportive and positive people really helps too. Having people believe in you, and most importantly believing in yourself, you can accomplish anything you set your mind to.

MTA: How familiar are you with Karim; are there any holes in his game that you feel you can exploit?
Joseph: I got to watch Karim fight live at Glory 6 Istanbul against Nieky Holzken. Other than that fight, I didn't really know much about him.  After beating Murat Direkci that night, I told my coaches that I'd like to fight Karim because it would get me closer to #1. 6 months later and that fight came true. Although I may not have the experience on paper, I feel like I'm the more explosive and technical fighter. I also feel I'm better defensively.

MTA: This fight will air on Spike TV, is there any added pressure to put on a great showing knowing that millions of people will be watching this fight?
Joseph: I've been looking at this fight no different than the others. Whether there are 2 people watching or millions, when it's time for battle I'm always focused on what I have to do to be successful. It's important that I don't let other distractions influence my performance. I am excited and motivated to put on exciting fight. This is a good opportunity to showcase myself to a larger audience as well as promote GLORY and kickboxing to North America.  Glory and kickboxing is on the rise in N.A. and it's only a matter of time before it becomes as large or larger than UFC and MMA. People just need the opportunity to watch.

MTA: Both of your fights in Glory have been victories by stoppage, are we going to see a third straight stoppage from you?
Joseph: That is always the goal. A stoppage win against such an experience opponent will push me up the world ranking. I also want to make sure that I cement my spot for the welterweight tournament in Tokyo for Glory 13.

MTA: You are fighting at 170lbs which is about 5lbs more than what you started your career at. Does the 5lbs make any difference for better or worse?
Joseph: It's actually been a lot better. I was always starving my body from putting on more muscle mass. With small changes in my diet and strength program, I was able to take my strength, power and explosiveness to new levels.  I feel a big difference in my energy levels during the camp.

MTA: Best of luck Joe. Any words for your fans and supporters?

Joseph: Thank you for all the continued support. All the Facebook, Instagram and twitter likes and messages mean so much to me.  It pushes me to train harder in the gym and perform to my best ability in the ring. Make sure you follow along with this fight and my career on twitter - @bazookajoev or my Facebook Page - Joseph "Bazooka Joe" Valtellini.
Muay Thai Authority Muay Thai and Kickboxing News Site

Bringing you the latest in Muay Thai and Kickboxing news.

1 comment:

  1. The big lights do something to many but good luck Joe, Rep for Toronto!!!!!"I've been looking at this fight no different than the others. Whether there are 2 people watching or millions, when it's time for battle I'm always focused on what I have to do to be successful."

    ReplyDelete