Friday, July 30, 2010

Kevin Ross Responds to Saenchai Comments


A little over a week ago Saenchai made comments that were posted on the WBC Muay Thai official website. Saenchai stated he wanted to fight Kevin Ross.

"I haven't had the opportunity to win a WBC belt and I've heard that Kevin Ross is one of the best of the farangs (in the super lightweight division) and has made a name for himself here in Thailand," Saenchai said. "I'd probably win it with a KO punch."

Kevin Ross had previously stated that it would be an honor to fight Saenchai but didn't go as far as saying he would knock him out, and just stated he would rise to the occasion.

Ross was kind enough to address Saenchai's comments for www.MuayThaiAuthority.com, and if you thought Ross might get upset over the comments, you were wrong.

So how did Ross respond upon hearing the news that Saenchai had called him out?

"You know when someone told me that Saenchai had called me out and it was on the WBC’s website I seriously thought that they were joking. When I first saw it I was blown away." Ross said. "Being called out by one of the best fighters on the planet definitely says something, especially since I’m an American, which most of the world takes us as a joke when it comes to muay thai. I guess that I’m doing something right."

For those that don't know the word farang means Westerner. In Thailand when it comes to Muay Thai not many are considered worthy of being called out. The fact that Saenchai took time out of his day to call Ross out is pretty note worthy as Ross pointed out.

At the same time Ross knows that not everything that is posted as an interview can be taken seriously as sometimes there are alterations to what is said. Saenchai stated he would knock Ross out which was a surprise to Ross since Saenchai is a very respectful fighter.

"Honestly I know that these interviews aren't always taken word for word and that things can be taken out of context. So if he did say that ("I'd probably win it with a KO punch.") than I say, I would love to see him try." Ross said. "But I don’t really care what people say before a fight. A lot of people like to talk and run their mouths, I do my talking in the ring. Saenchai is a very respectful fighter so I don’t really see him saying that but who knows. Either way it’d be an honor for me to fight a legend like him, I have nothing but respect for the man."

Ross doesn't make pre-fight predictions about knocking someone out, or any thing of such sort, he doesn't run his mouth before fights, he shows up and puts in his work at fight time. Although Ross would love to fight Saenchai, he is no rush, he would actually prefer to go after Fabio Pinca's belt.

"I would definitely love to fight him, whether it’s my next fight or further in the future it doesn’t really matter to. I want Pinca’s belt so if I had it my way that would be my next one." Ross said. "There are a lot of great fighters in and around my weight class that I would love to get in the ring with. I just want to get the opportunity to prove that I am right up there with them"

Farangs or Westerners, have to prove their worth especially in Thailand, that's a challenge Ross is ready to take on (although he's doing pretty well already). When venturing away from your home soil there are more challenges that come as part of a fight than you might think, like any sport there is home town advantage.

"There’s always such a thing as "home town advantage". Regardless of how unbiased judges try and be it’s hard not to go for your home country guy. You are always at a disadvantage going into someone else country or hometown." Ross said. "If we ever did fight I think that it would be great if it was on neutral territory, possibly in Japan or Europe somewhere. But I’ll fight him anywhere anytime."

Many fighters might lobby heavily about where the fight might take place, just to try and make sure the playing field is as neutral as possible, but it wouldn't be a surprise to see the potential fight take place in Thailand, like Ross said, he would fight him anywhere and anytime. That is part of his game, he doesn't do a lot of talking before hand, he doesn't really care where he fights you or when, all Ross cares about is putting on a show in the ring on fight day.

As far as trying to make him give a prediction, well he promised only one thing.

"The only prediction that I will ever give for any of my fights is that it will be explosive, entertaining and that I will never quit, regardless of the outcome. It would definitely be a great fight for the fans to see. We would not disappoint!" said Ross.

Ross meanwhile is trying to get his next fight set up for August or September, whoever it is I doubt it's going to matter as long as they go in there an are willing to fight. It could be Saenchai, it could be Pinca, or anyone else who is willing to step into the world of Kevin Ross. That means stepping into a world of explosive Thai Boxing for five rounds.
Muay Thai Authority Muay Thai and Kickboxing News Site

Bringing you the latest in Muay Thai and Kickboxing news.

1 comment:

  1. This says a lot about Ross's professionalism and he should be respected for that as well as his fighting. Cheers, Ross!

    ReplyDelete