Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Justin Greskiewicz talks about his upcoming title fight against Liam Harrison


On July 23rd the state of New Jersey will host its first ever full rules Muay Thai event. The Warriors Cup XII will be headlined by Liam Harrison and Justin Greskiewicz as they fight for the WBC Muay Thai international welterweight title. We caught up with Justin and spoke about the upcoming fight. Enjoy.

MTA: You are fighting Liam Harrison at the first ever Full Rules event in New Jersey. What were you thinking when you had the fight with Liam offered to you?

Justin: Yeah man. I am fighting Liam. I was definitely a little surprised when they offered it to me. I feel like I sometimes get overlooked in these situations, but of course I was excited. I actually got the news while training in Thailand, from the owner of the camp there, so I wasn't sure if he was right or not. When I found out it was for sure, I kinda pissed my pants a little, but in a good way. Ha.

MTA: Knowing Liam has been in the ring with some of the best in the world such as Saenchai, and Anuwat Kaewsamrit to name few do you feel any pressure?

Justin: I know he's fought some of my heroes, and I really have looked up to Liam as a fighter for some time, but that doesn't make me feel any added pressure. Experience is a big thing, but I've been really busy recently with top notch guys and I feel confident. It's an honor to think that I was their choice for this fight, I feel privileged to have the opportunity.

MTA: What advantages do you see yourself having over Liam?

Justin: I feel like I have certain advantages over Liam, possibly my conditioning and the pace of the fight will be a factor.

MTA: Is there anything you think you have to be weary of in Liam's style of fighting?

Justin: I know Liam has power and beats most farang with simple technique and power. I actually think we're a good match up. I know what he's bringing to the table. Good basics and power has gotten him to be one of the best in the world. I respect that, much more so than jumping, spinning, cartwheel, back flip garbage.

MTA: The fight is for a WBC International title, is that any added pressure?

Justin: Belts are sweet. One of the only ones that means much is that green strap we're fighting for. But honestly, it doesn't change much. I'm fighting Liam Harrison. Doesn't matter if the rules change, if the stakes change, or if the weight changes. It's happening and I gotta be ready for it.

MTA: You are bigger than Liam do you feel your size advantage will play a big factor in the fight?

Justin:
Am I bigger? I always heard he had trouble cutting down to size for fights. Nah, I feel that my size may be an advantage in certain areas, but not necessarily.

MTA:
You are considered the underdog going into this fight. How does that make you feel when preparing for a fight?

Justin: I love being the underdog. I hope to shock a lot of people that think I'm going in there to get a beating. I'm from Philly, the Rocky mentality goes deep here.

MTA: What can fans of The Purple People Eater expect to see on July 23rd when you step in to the ring to face Liam, can we get a prediction?

Justin:
I wish I was a notorious badass like Clubber Lang and could pull out a "I predict PAIN" kind of line, but honestly I predict a solid fight. We're gonna get in there and want to put it on. I'm excited to do it.

MTA: As far as the rest of the year goes what do you have planned as far as fights, and is there anyone you would like to fight?

Justin: I'm sure I'll have a really busy year, but I don't really know. My Kru jokes and calls me "the hardest working man in show business" because I fight all the time. I wanna fight everyone. I hope I get a chance to keep the ball rolling and doing it nonstop. Easiest way to get in shape for a fight is never get fat. There are a list of kids I fought that I'd want to fight again, some fighters I'd be excited to step in the ring with. If they're between 140-147 and are exciting, I wanna do it. 

*Photo courtesy of Lance Burns (www.PhotoBurns.com)
Muay Thai Authority Muay Thai and Kickboxing News Site

Bringing you the latest in Muay Thai and Kickboxing news.

No comments:

Post a Comment