Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Miriam Nakamoto talks her return to Muay Thai, PLUS pictures of her training


Miriam Nakamoto is one of the best female fighters in the world, but she hasn’t competed in over a year. She had knee surgery last year and is now returning to training. Muay Thai Authority was able to catch up with her to talk about her regarding her plans. Scott Hirano was also on hand to take pictures of Miriam as she begins her training again.

MTA: You are back in training after recovering form knee surgery. How is the knee feeling now that you are back in the gym?

Miriam: It feels really good. I am fortunate to have fantastic physical therapy sponsorship from Jacon Chun out of ESPT in Fremont, CA. He has made exceptional progress with me during the rehabilitation process. I couldn't be happier. It feels wonderful to be strong and mobile again.

MTA: The big fight that was supposed to take place was against Julie Kitchen, but both times it hasn’t been able to happen. Did you get a chance to talk to Julie when she was at the MPL event in Long Beach, if so how did that conversation go?

Miriam: Yes I sought Julie out after the (MPL) fights. I was eager to meet the "Queen of Muay Thai." I mentioned that we really should fight. Neither her or her husband seemed particularly enthused by the prospect.

MTA: North America doesn’t have many female fighters and the ones that there are fight in different weight classes. You end up having to fight over seas a lot. How difficult is it being a female fighter, especially from North America?

Miriam: It is frustrating. I wish there were more women for me to fight here. I want to be able to fight in my own country! It's not that I don't love traveling to other countries, all expenses paid plus pay. I absolutely love that part. But it's not advantageous to my career in the sense that I am barely known in the U.S. which seems to make it more difficult to get sponsors. At least with sponsor money I could generate more income doing what I love.

MTA: Is MMA in your future? A training partner of yours, Germaine De Randamie has already made a solid transition into MMA.

Miriam: Yes, MMA is solidly in my future. We (Kirian and I) know that this is unfortunately the only way to start encountering decent paydays. Not that I don't like or enjoy MMA. Not at all. It's just that it's infuriating to see people during an MMA fight get credit for sloppy shit muay thai when there's world class muay Thai fighters here that are being overlooked everyday.

MTA: Aside from Julie Kitchen, who else would you like to fight this year?

Miriam: Whoever is in front of me.

MTA: Any message you would like to give any of your potential opponents?

Miriam: It's the left knee. Come and get it.












Muay Thai Authority Muay Thai and Kickboxing News Site

Bringing you the latest in Muay Thai and Kickboxing news.

No comments:

Post a Comment