Friday, July 17, 2015

Daniel Kim talks upcoming fight with Richard Abraham at Legacy Kickboxing 3




Daniel Kim will be in action at Legacy Kickboxing 3 on July 24th against Richard Abraham. Kim, a product legendary Thai fighter Jogsanan will look to show case his skills not only to the fans in the arena, but the fans watching on AXS TV.

Traditionally a Muay Thai fighter, Kim will put his elbows and clinch on hold for Kickboxing this bout. It will be interesting to see how Kim adjusts to the changes in the ring. We were lucky enough to catch up with him and speak about the upcoming bout, opportunities falling through, and a few other things.

MTA: You have a fight coming up for Legacy Kickboxing against Richard Abraham, how has your training been going?

Daniel: Yesterday's conditioning training was brutal, I was screaming man, like some kind of animal screaming. This training camp is great timing for myself cause I got word from the Legacy Kickboxing matchmaker just a couple days after my last match in May when I fought on Arise FC in Santa Clara. I wasn't banged up or nothing so I was back in the gym and right back on the grind that very week. 

I'm lucky because at El Nino Training Center I got the best trainer for me who I'm always learning from, and who's flexible in making adjustments in Jongsanan. Our conditioning coach is Josh Berkovich who in addition to being an expert athletic conditioning trainer, is a yoga expert and is also an up and coming undefeated pro MMA fighter himself. Eduardo Balu Vargas also works with me on some training protocols when I need to do something different. On top of that we got the best person keeping our bodies together in acupuncture/chiropractor/physical therapist Albert Salopek. On top of that I get to train with the highest level training partners. Gilbert and Keri Melendez have attracted top quality people for our team and I don't think a fighter in any discipline can ask for a better training camp. It's an awesome team. No egos no assholes, except maybe myself. Everyone's been through it so we all get it without having to say it.

MTA: Over the years you have been a fighter that many people have had their eye on but it seems that you have not been very active. Is that by choice, or have things like injuries kept you out of the ring?

Daniel: Whoa, I'm surprised that people outside have even been having their eye on me. I never thought I accomplished anything really special and I never felt comfortable promoting myself. I'm just taking fights whenever they come up, I didn't think I really stood out in any way.

I should have had at least 5 more fights than I got to do these past 4 years if things went through the way they should have. This was not by choice; I've had matches cancelled at the last minute by unlucky circumstances. These were the worst kind of cancellations, after full training camps and weight control I would get a call the day before weigh in or my fight got pulled the day of the fight. It happened last year the day before weigh-ins for Arise FC when my opponent didn't get his pro Kickboxers registration done with CSAC in time. The year before that at the Journey Fight Series Middleweight Tournament I suffered a miscommunication with the Calgary, CA commission when they cancelled my fight due to not having my medicals on file even though I fought there less than 3 months before and had a valid Calgary pro fighters card which I took with me to the event. I weighed in, did the face-off then went to the hotel ate and went to sleep ready to fight the next day. Then the day of the fight the commission decided they had to pull my fight right before we were about to wrap hands in the dressing room, that was probably the worst ever. They rescheduled that match so I could stay in the tournament but by the time that date rolled around I had this legal issue that wouldn't let me into Canada for a few years. Which sucked cause I liked that promoter and discovered that the Canadian Muay Thai fans and Canadians in general are the nicest people and I would want to go back just to visit. A year before that my boss at the time managed to get me on the undercard for the Thai Fight promotions show in Hong Kong as part of a package deal with another fighter Gilmar who was to be Buakaw’s opponent. I was excited cause I thought it could have been a big breakthrough for me if I did good even if my fight wasn't gonna be part of the TV production. I did a whole camp then spent a couple weeks in Thailand, then flew to Hong Kong got on the scale made weight and my opponent who was a Hong Kong local, straight up no showed on me. 

It's been frustrating, especially since financially and in other ways I made huge sacrifices to pursue this path. After the passion and enthusiasm goes away and it becomes a grind it definitely seemed like a lost situation at times and a big waste. I've taken comfort and have been able to accept these circumstances through my faith in an all powerful and good God which I have through the good news that comes by Christ's final sacrifice offered for all mankind. I'm not religious in an organized or doctrinal way, I find legalistic religiosity contradictory to the gospel and in my experience I've seen that with some people it could lead to self righteous hypocrisy and judgmental ugliness. I do respect people who are religious and honor their God or gods through those traditions; I feel they are genuine in their faith. For myself though, I discovered after my born again experience that changed my whole mental format that Jesus was different in that he didn't promote a religion full of rules and hierarchies. He taught love, forgiveness, and selfless obedience to love God and love others. That's a lot easier than following a bunch of commandments but I still suck at it sometimes even though I'm getting better. I'm not perfect, but I see how I am being perfected by the Spirit as I keep living. I believe that there is a purpose in all things and that God is love and not some old dude with a beard in the sky pointing his finger at me when I do dirty and rewarding me only when I'm a perfect angel. Ultimately His purpose is for my good and growth even if I can't see how my future will be secure with my own eyes. So if I fight a lot and win that's good with me, if I don't that's ok too. I can only do my best and give it my all every time I'm blessed with the opportunity to get into the ring.

MTA: You use to train at Fairtex now at El Nino Training Center, what is your team called and who are the main coaches?

Daniel: I represent Woodenman Muay Thai Team at El Nino Training Center my coach is Jongsanan Fairtex. Anthony P, Jason O'hare, and Chris Aldea have been his main assistant trainers to help me since back when we were at the Fairtex Gym on Hawthorn St. It's a busy season for us right now in the MMA and Muay Thai scene so we're happy with that.

MTA: This fight will be on AXS TV, being that it is front of a national audience do you feel any more pressure to put on a great performance?

Daniel: I've fought on shows that were broadcast in Thailand from the USA a couple times before where there were a lot of TV cameras. I've also fought on AXS TV before for Lion Fight. I wondered how it would affect me then, but I found that I didn't even notice. The ring was the same and I still had an opponent facing me in the other corner. I don't get nervous to fight my opponents, or fear of getting hurt, but I do feel pressure to perform in order to represent for my trainer and all my teammates and co workers who helped me in all kinds of ways during training camp and the people who supported me. I want to perform at a high level and win as a way of showing gratitude to everyone. I'm sure a lot of fighters feel this way but I haven't fought to my real potential yet. There have been blocks that separate what I feel my true ability is to my performance so far in the ring and maybe one of those blocks has been that pressure to put on a great performance for my people. It's coming together though so we'll see what's up. I just gotta do more fights and it will come together.

MTA: You are fighting Kickboxing rules and not Muay Thai, do you prefer to fight either rule set more than the other?

Daniel: I'm more comfortable doing Muay Thai as of right now but I always welcome the opportunity for something new. So who knows I might like kickboxing too.

MTA: Aside from fighting what are some of the other activities you enjoy?

Daniel: I like to play all sports. I never liked learning at school but I like to read if it is something I want to learn about. I love going to places I never been before I wish I could travel more not for fighting, that costs money though.

MTA: A lot of fighters don't fight full time because they have careers or other jobs, what is your day job and how do you balance it with training especially around fight time?

Daniel: I teach Muay Thai classes and do personal training. Which might seem like a good fit, but if I have to concentrate on training for a match I have to take time off and do less sessions because teaching classes and doing personal training sessions is a physical job and during training camp it is exhausting both mentally and physically. So again, it’s a financial sacrifice to take a fight.

MTA: Do you have any plans beyond this fight, any other fights lined up?

Daniel: I'll just go back to work and wait on the opportunities to come up and be happy and grateful.

MTA: Any words for your supporters?

Daniel: I can't say with words how grateful I am for the support, unconditional love and acceptance of my friends, teammates. I look forward to when I can do more to give back. So many people who do the smallest and biggest things to help at El Nino and at KOA Fitness while I'm working and training. A friend of mine likes to quote "No man (woman) stands taller than when he stoops down to help another". If that's true I'm surrounded by a bunch of freakishly tall giants. Thanks to my main sponsor Action Pro Gear they are putting a huge effort into growing Muay Thai in America. Thanks to my supporters and friends at KOA Fitness. Thanks to everyone for trying to understand how it is during training and preparations for a show and stepping in to cover for me and helping me in all kinds of ways. Thank you for everyone who watches and follows professional Muay Thai and Kickboxing, I'll do my best and keep getting better.
Muay Thai Authority Muay Thai and Kickboxing News Site

Bringing you the latest in Muay Thai and Kickboxing news.

No comments:

Post a Comment