Monday, February 21, 2011

New York fighters respond to Chaz Mulkey's comments


Chaz Mulkey stirred up some controversy this past week with his comments regarding New York Muay Thai. He goes as far as referring to the fights in New York as "sissy pants fights". Muay Thai Authority gathered some feedback from some of New York's top Muay Thai fighters such as Omar Ahmed, Chris Romulo, and Rami Ibrahim. Although they seem to respect Mulkey's freedom to state is own opinion, they don't agree with his statements.

Chris Romulo - 

"I think its a great way to finally get both coast on a show to prove which people work the hardest. As far as his quote, it is ignorant, disrespectful and childish. Muay Thai is not only about the art of combat, but also the art of humility which Chaz sounds like he missed out on. But I get where he is coming from, he wants to test himself just like every other "muay thai" fighter here in NY. Its on the promoters to take the padlocks off their wallets and make this scrap happen. I am up for the challenge and I am pretty sure so is everyone here in NY."

Turan Hasanov -

"This is a bunch of bullshit, the life is much easier in the west coast than east we have seasons that we have to fight through every year around the west coast fighters wouldn't be able to warm up in a cold a environment and I myself have fought a lot of west coast fighters. Their nothing special they have the traditional Muay Thai stance and they are very bad with their hands. I have no problem fighting with elbows that's every New York Thai boxers dream, is for NY to make elbows legal. I fought with elbows in Thailand and I won by KO, just cause we don't use them doesn't mean we don't know how and I have no problem fighting."

Rami Ibrahim - 

"I'd like to say, a few things. First thing, Turan, you're right and I feel you and agree with you. Secondly, Chaz has a right to say what he said, especially since it's mostly true. 90% of the known fighters here do get picked over and over and don't get match up with outside fighters. However, there's two reasons to why that might be the case. One, the fighters will get embarrassed, and that isn't what they want to happen to "their" fighters and two, the promoters don't want to put the money out to bring outside fighters. Chaz might be a good fighter and even a good person, however, what he just said went a little too far, just a little. I mean since he is "one of the more vocal fighters", then maybe he should be more vocal to the promoters in the west coast and tell them to bring us "New York guys/amateurs at best" down to fight Kevin Ross, you, or whoever you want at 170, and see if we wouldn't take the fight. I know I'd fight anyone, anytime, anywhere. I'll even go as far to say this... nobody in the world, who fights at 132, 140 and shoot even 147 (which is higher than my walking weight) can ever say, they can't get a fighter to fight them, because Rami Ibrahim will fight anyone at that weight division, and I just put it out there.

Professionals, let me rephrase that, because as we now know, there's professionals out there who have the title of one, but not the image and proper representation of one. Therefore, a professional who knows how to act like one, would never make such an ignorant statement no matter, whether he's speaking out his ass because he's ignorant, nor if he's just speaking to try to spice things up for his name. His actions most likely disrespect some fighters and more importantly has know made him lose respect as man (more important than a fighter) and has now given him the image of a beginner, or better yet, as an amateur who doesn't know how to control his techniques, just like he doesn't know how to control his "vocal" strengths. But hey, give it to the guy, because before this situation, I never even heard of the name Chaz Mulkey, and now, because of his "vocal" attributes, he's putting his name out there, maybe not as a respected fighter, but at least as "one of the more vocal fighters". What it be like. HOLLA"

Chris Kwiatkowski - 

"I appreciate the attention that Chaz has given the New York Muay Thai Scene. First of all I like to say that I respect all fighters, East Coast, West Coast, wherever you may be from, I give you full respect. The reason I fight Muay Thai is surely not for the money, it is for the love of the sport. I am trying to give exposure to a fighting style that has been around for a while, but has not been given the exposure that it deserves.

I think the promoters are doing a great job in NYC increasing the fight fan's knowledge of the sport. My promoter, Friday Night Fights, puts on 10 shows a year & regularly has over 1,000 people in attendance, with the bigger shows reaching over 2,000. This is nothing but great for the sport of Muay Thai. In past events we have had fighters representing Canada, the United States (including the West Coast), Europe, & Asia all competing. As some are led to believe, we do not discriminate. The East Coast promoters must be doing something right, as it is Chaz that is calling us out & not the other way around. We are simply just doing our thing & promoting the sport that we love.

As for the rules; they do allow elbows, but only below the collar bone. This is not by fighter's preference, simply the rules that the NY State Athletic Commission has made. I've fought in Thailand, as did most of my fellow professional New York Muay Thai fighters. This is the style I prefer, and I'm sure many East Coast fighters would agree with me on that. We've also had some great shows, with the likes of Khunpon, Jongsanon, & Bunkerd, to name a few, all competing under the modified Muay Thai rules (with no complaints). Not one has complained that this is not real Muay Thai.

If a promoter can put together an East Coast vs. West Coast tournament or some sort of North American tournament where we are all fighting in the same tournament, I'm totally game. But in reality, its the promoters that make the fights, not the fighters. It's a money game in the end."

Omar Ahmed - 

"I can care less about what they say on the west coast or what they think of New York fighters...I've fought in Lumpini Stadium on Cable TV there and I would fight dudes from the west coast, I'm only 22. I don't make rules I just fight... and I run the Muay Thai fight scene here in NY. If you guys don't know that already." 

As you can see, the fighters from New York, are ready to step up to any challenge. It seems things are moving to make some West Coast vs. East Coast match-ups happen, and any of the above fighters would be a good representative for New York, or the East Coast.

Photo Courtesy of Lance Burns. www.PhotoBurns.com


Muay Thai Authority Muay Thai and Kickboxing News Site

Bringing you the latest in Muay Thai and Kickboxing news.

No comments:

Post a Comment