Thursday, October 27, 2011

The Challenger Muaythai blog - Jay Woodham


by Jay Woodham
I train at the Lamiamuaythai Camp Koh Samui with Tum Mardsua, he had already been chosen to take part in the show. They were looking for another fighter, I got asked to do a video interview like a screen test so I did that. They knew I was a decent fighter from videos and recommendations and that was that really, a few weeks later I got the call and the producers said I was in the show. I was just so happy to be a part of Muaythai history to be in the very first season of The Challenger Muaythai and really excited to show the world what I could do, as I left the UK almost two years ago as a high level fighter and I feel I have improved. It was great to finally get to show case that.

Once I arrived in the house I recognized all the fighters and I was, well, excited to come up against any of these boys as I had nothing to lose but everything to gain. Being one of the underdogs in the competition, I thought none of these guys are invincible so I was like "Oi jay you could win this mate just get stuck in."

My first fight on the show was with my good friend Mosi. You know how this fight came about, well this is the story, the day of choosing the fighter Mosi came to me and said can you pick me whatever the weapon of the week is as I am ready to fight mate and I will choose Franki if the trainers also pick me giving me the power to choose my opponent. I was like yeah man sure no problem and then he went to Antoine and a few others I think saying the same thing.

So when it came to the day of choosing the weapon of the week it was clinching. The remaining fighters to fight got in the ring and will all clinched, myself, Mosi, Marco, Jordan, Cyrus and Franki. After the clinch session we all had to make our decision and the majority vote was Mosi and the trainers agreed which gave Mosi the power to choose. For me, I was like cool my mate got his wish and now he will fight Franki. Aaaaaaaaaaaah, but no when he came to choose who he wanted he chose me. Ahahahahaah, I was like sneaky Fucker. LOLl!!!

He came to me and said he didn't know why he all of a sudden picked me, it was like one of those things you can't control just heat of the moment. Me personally I think he thought Franki is a very strong fighter, if he fought him he may get injured and I'm a smallest fighter of the competition so less chance of injury. I really believe he intended to pick Franki, I don't believe it was a manipulation thing, I just think last second he changed his mind. It is fine we are still very much good friends, we were there to fight so no problem.

THE FIGHT
The day of the fight I was not nervous at all, I never am for fights and I had seen Mosi fight many times. I trained with him a lot in Lamaiamuaythai Camp Koh Samui so Ajarn Nong and my self had a good game plan as we know Mosi doesn't like the left style jab and kick with left hard body kicks and coming low with the right kick, while away form his sharp heavy hands.

For the first round I worked a real treat as I smashed him to be honest and broke his rib with a knee, so that little thing that he thought to himself about less chance of injury with me backfired ahah! Going into second round I was going for the same game plan, worked well for first minute then from nowhere a big over hand right knocks me down. I got straight back up, but didn't compose my self and went to war which was exactly what I got told not to do and about 20 seconds later I was down again from two strong punches, but this time I was sleeping. Good night Vienna as they say. I made one mistake, chin bit high when I was punching and paid for it, you know shit happens. It was a good fight even though a short one and I think it showed I can mix it up with the best. Oh and bear in mind that on the day of the fight Mosi walked into the ring at 80 plus kilo and I was at 71 kilo, but he did make weight the day before. No more fighting at 72.5 kilo for me those boys cut so much weight, but no excuses ;-) Myself and Mosi are very much still best of friends as well so all is good, "love you Mosi mate."

AFTERMATH
You know what on the way back to the changing room in the car I was with Billy Orr the fitness and weight loss instructor form The Challenger Muaythai and good friend of mine. You know what I am man enough to admit I had a little cry. It all just got on top of me, the experience of it all and losing by KO in front of the world, I didn't want to go out like that and the fact dawned on me, I'm going home now my dream was over. I'm like that, a few minutes later I reminded myself of all the positives and I was back to laughing and joking again. I reminded my self that I'm going back to Samui to my beautiful French croissant of a girlfriend that cheered me :-) x

As soon as I was on my feet and in the changing room I was asking my trainer Ajarn Nong and my good mate and corner man for the night Billy Orr if the fight was OK. I just didn't want to of put on a rubbish fight for the fans and they were like Jay you smashed it, but you just got caught don't worry mate. For me that was good enough as I can work on mistakes in the gym, so no problem.

The future is bright for me, I got a lot of great things in the pipeline, seminars, good fights, everything is happening. I will most likely stay in Thailand for a few more years and just train hard and make my name even bigger. I would just like to thank my sponsors Fight Life, MTG fight gear and Biobutrics.

Muay Thai Authority Muay Thai and Kickboxing News Site

Bringing you the latest in Muay Thai and Kickboxing news.

No comments:

Post a Comment