Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Michael Mananquil talks Road to Glory tournament victory


Michael Mananquil recently won the Road to Glory USA lightweight tournament in Milwaukee. The tournament victory netted the bay area native a $20,000 grand prize and contract with Glory. Michael took some time to chat with us here at Muay Thai Authority about the tournament victory. Enjoy.

MTA: Michael, big tournament win at Road to Glory, how are you feeling now that the dust has settled from the tournament?

Michael: Even though it has been a few days my Mrs. and I still have celebration hugs, almost star struck of the past events. We're still very happy about the results.

MTA: Are you a fan of the one night tournament format, and would you be willing to do another one?

Michael: I've only done one tournament similar to this format. Unfortunately, the previous time I was bumped out early by Sudsakorn Sor Klinmee, the tournament winner. After our first match in the GLORY tournament I went to Coach Rudi and Jose Palacios from Unlimited Kickboxing and we both agreed that the tournament style was not an easy task as both Jose and I wobbled around to try to warm up for out next bout that evening. As for doing it again, if the right opportunity arises of course I'll participate in the next one.

MTA: When the final was over were you confident that the decision was going to go your way?

Michael: I felt I won most of the fight as a whole but we have all seen decisions from all angles so concluding the 3rd round I was mentally still ready for a 4th round just in case the judges wanted the show to continue. When the announcer stated the victor was by unanimous victory I was very confident that it would swing my way and thankfully it did.

MTA: Who was the hard fight in the tournament for you?

Michael: All 3 of the opponents were fairly equally as tough as the other. What makes the fight itself tough is the state I am in during those fights. The first fight against Jameel Massouh was so difficult for me to warm into. Perhaps it was the first fight jitters. Everyone wants to win and no one wants to get sent home early. After that fight Ajarn Sam gave me the biggest verbal slap I've received in some time stating that I will not win this if I perform as I did the previous fight. Even with all the aches I was much more comfortable in the following bout vs. Muhsin Corbbrey whom in my opinion dominated in his previous bout. Going against Troy was the same as the previous, focused and aggressive. Troy was a big man with a nice range advantage but I glad I managed to persevere. In short the entire night felt like one long fight. It was difficult throughout. When I was finally able to take my gloves off it felt like I had been wearing those gloves for weeks.

MTA: You have recently been fighting at 154lbs, why the move up from 147lbs?

Michael: In sport combat I think 147lbs is the weight I would be optimal in but opportunities in the 154lbs class have been presenting themselves to me so as a professional I do my best to keep my mouth shut and get to work regardless of "my preferences". And no, I'm not getting daddy fat.

MTA: You haven't been fighting as often as before, why the long layoff and do you have any plans of being more active?

Michael: After my K-1 slug fest I had with Scotty Ray Leffler back in Sept 2012 I was meaning to get some fights all through out the beginning of 2013, but for some reason fights just kept falling through the cracks. Finally one fight stuck to their guns I was able to participate in the Road To GLORY 8-man Tournament.

MTA: Now that you are in Glory is there anyone you want your first fight to be against?

Michael: No one in particular. Especially since I haven't seen the line up and I haven't done any studies on them yet. Like all the other participants, we all want a clean shot at the top, so Georgio Petrosyan is always in our sights.

MTA: What can fans expect to see from you next?

Michael: I'll train as I always do. Who knows what I will be like next. My teacher Ajarn Sam always seems to give me something new before every time I enter the ring. I hope to keep the ball rolling in my favor and the only way to do that is to work hard and stay dedicated. No secret sauce, just good old fashion hard work.

MTA: Any words for your supporters?

Michael: I got tons of texts and messages during my time away from California and I so thankful for that. Even though my supporters weren't there in person they were all there with me in spirit. I'm glad both my parents were there in and to have my wife and my father in-law both help in the corner was another blessing. I couldn't do anything with my teammates at World Team USA and my trainer Ajarn Sam Phimsoutham. All GLORY to god for always keeping me safe. Thanks Muay Thai Authority for pushing the latest and greatest Muay Thai occurrences these past years.
Muay Thai Authority Muay Thai and Kickboxing News Site

Bringing you the latest in Muay Thai and Kickboxing news.

No comments:

Post a Comment