Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Eric Luna talks upcoming Muay Thai Global 7 bout with Carlos Galvan




Eric Luna (@EricAKAMuayThai) will return to action this weekend at Muay Thai Global 7 in Northern California. We were able to catch up with Eric and talk a little bit about his upcoming fight against Carlos Galvan, plan to become an EMT, and some of his likes and dislikes.

MTA: You are set to fight Carlos Galvan at Muay Thai Global on July 18, how is your fight prep going?

Eric: Training has been going great! I have about 2 weeks until fight day and about a week and a half left of camp. It's usually when everything we worked on comes together with a few more days when my coach pushes me hard and tries to kill me.

MTA: You're coming off a nice win, is it easier training for a fight when you won your previous fight, maybe less pressure?

Eric: Well I always feel a little bit of pressure when I'm getting ready for a fight, but I think that's mostly because of the expectations I have of myself. The few times when I felt actual pressure was mostly because of the fight I was getting ready for and not from the one I just had.

MTA: You are in the process of becoming an EMT, how do you balance building a career and being a fighter?

Eric: Well I actually completed my EMT training about a month ago. Now all I have to do is pass the National Registry exam and complete a few more things in the local county to get my CA State EMT card. But when it comes to balancing it, I've pretty much just been going with the flow and making sure that I don't put it on the back burner since it's what I really want to do. I think it will be harder once I'm an EMT and putting in 10-12+ hours each shift, but I'll always find time to train since Muay Thai is my passion.

MTA: So once the EMT stuff is done and you are working the crazy hours, do you think you will be fighting less?

Eric: I hope not! I'm planning to make sure that I still put in work at the gym and to be available for any potential fights. Who knows how it will actually play out, but I'm going to do my best to still be able to fight as much as possible.

MTA: Have you sat back and thought that you can knock a guy out cold and then you have the skills now to bring him back to consciousness?

Eric: Hahaha! I get this a lot! When my classmates found out I fought professionally, they made that joke a lot. But yeah, I have thought about "What if?" scenarios that involved fights and what I would do in certain situations. 

MTA: How is your family with the whole fighting thing are they pretty supportive?

Eric: They're very supportive! They have been my #1 fans since day one and even my girlfriend and her family. They have all supported me and helped me out with anything I needed throughout my career. I'm lucky to have them all.

MTA: As a fighter what is your goal, are you striving to get signed by a Lion Fight or Glory or are you simply doing it because you love it.

Eric: My overall goal is to be the best fighter I can be. At the end of my fighting career, I want to be able to look back and just be truly happy with everything I've done. After that? I want to work my way up the ladder and become a legit champion. I think that being a champion would be most fighters' first choice, but me being happy is my #1.

Of course I would love to fight for a top promotion on national television so I can show my skills to a much bigger audience. I've fought on big shows before, but nothing that's been on tv. I haven't seen too many 132lb fights on Lion Fight though and Glory doesn't have that weightless yet, but I'm staying optimistic. I know my time will come.

MTA: Being that it seems the 132lb weight class isn't something that gets promoted a lot by the larger promotions like Glory and Lion Fight do you think you can move up to maybe 140 lbs if needed and is it something you might consider?

Eric: I wish I could say that I could, but I don't see it happening. The majority of the fighters at that weight are all significantly heavier than I am and the size difference would be a bitch to deal with during a fight.

MTA: Here are five questions so fans can get to know you a little better.

Favorite food?

Eric: BBQ! Ribs, brisket, pulled pork, anything BBQ and I'm all over it. After my last fight, I went to a big BBQ rib cook off in a nearby little town to celebrate and ended up eating $60 worth of ribs by myself. I regretted nothing.

MTA: Favorite movie?

Eric: Tough choice!! Some of my all time favorites are Lost Boys and Pulp Fiction. I quote Step Brothers almost daily. Best movie I've seen so far in 2015 is definitely Chappie. I'm a big fan of Neill Blomkamp's movies with Charlto Copley, they're a great team.

MTA: Biggest pet peeve?

Eric: Inconsiderate people, no doubt. I find it very annoying when someone is inconsiderate, not just to me but to friends of mine as well.

MTA: Favorite American and non American Muay Thai fighter?

Eric: Miriam Nakamoto and Yodsanklai. My two #1s.

MTA: Favorite sport aside from Muay Thai and who is your favorite team or athlete?

Eric: Aside from Muay Thai, I'd say MMA. Some of my favorite fighter's to watch would be Josh Thomson, Mike Swick and Jon Fitch but also because they're good friends of mine. Non combat sports related, I enjoy the Oakland A's a lot and have been a fan of them since I was a young kid.

MTA: Any words for your supporters Eric?

Eric: Just that I really appreciate all of them. My family and girlfriend, my coach and teammates, all my long time friends and my sponsors Artlete, PNP Supplements and Action Pro Gear. I'm going to keep doing my best to give them all exciting fights and hopefully make some new fans and friends along the way. If you see me fight on a show and enjoy my performance, win or lose, come say hi!
Muay Thai Authority Muay Thai and Kickboxing News Site

Bringing you the latest in Muay Thai and Kickboxing news.

No comments:

Post a Comment