Thursday, December 9, 2010

Ky Hollenbeck talks upcoming 4-man tournament in China


Ky Hollenbeck will be participating in one the WCK's 4-man tournaments starting on December 18th.

Ky is a technical and powerful fighter fighting out of World Team USA in San Francisco, CA, but was generous enough to answer a few questions about the upcoming tournament and his future fight plans for Muay Thai Authority.

What are his predictions for the tournament, and what are his future fight plans? Read below to find out.


MTA: You are going to be part of the 4-man 160lb tournament the WCK is holding in China. How has your training been going for the tournament?
Ky: Training has been going really well. I have a lot of strong fighters in my training camp and they really push me past the point and make sure I'm ready for any situation that the three other fighters in the tournament could put me in.

MTA: Any of the other three fighters you would like to face in the first round of the tournament?
Ky: The promoter told me I would be fighting Pavel Obozny in the first round. I'm looking forward to fighting him, I've seen him fight once in China before. He has solid hands and a few tricks that will make him an interesting opponent to face. I've been training hard to make sure he'll have his hands full.

MTA: Who do you feel is the favorite to win this tournament?
Ky: Everybody has the skill to win it. There isn't a weak fighter out of the four. I always enter a fight with the thought that I'm going to win, so I would say I'm the favorite. But if you asked the other three, I'm sure they would say the same about themselves.

MTA: What is your prediction as to who you feel will win the tournament, favorite or not?
Ky: Like I said before, I go into every fight with the thought that I'm going to win. So I predict that I'm going to win this tournament. I know it's not going to be easy, but I'm going to fight as hard as I can to ensure that I am the last man standing.

MTA: Who do you think you will face in the finals from the other tournament match up between Luis Bio and Steve Moxon?
Ky: I hope to face Luis Bio. He and I became friends after we fought on the same team in China a few months ago, so I want him to do well. He's a really strong and technically sound fighter and I think we could put on an awesome show for the fans.

MTA: Does your game plan change since this is a tournament and you will be fighting again a day after your first fight?
Ky: Knowing that you fight again the next day if you win definitely changes your game plan. I want to go into the second fight as close to 100 % as possible, but I also can't over look the first fight. Ultimately I think I've got to keep the same strategy I always have and just try to hurt the other guy more them he hurts me. Injuries are almost certain to happen so I have to be mentally tough and push beyond them.

MTA: You have a come forward style that is very aggressive, do you attribute that to the reason you have ended your last 3 fights by knockout?
Ky: I vary my style depending on the person I fight. I try to be as well-rounded as possible so my opponent can't predict exactly what I'm going to do. For my last few fights an aggressive style was the best plan for the people I was fighting. I attribute the knockouts to the dedication in my training and the effort I put in pre-fight. I believe in the idea of "train hard, fight easy."

MTA: Unfortunately for U.S. fans they haven't had too much of a chance to see you fight since all but one of your fights this year have been overseas, are you looking to fight in The U.S. a lot more in 2011?
Ky: I would love to fight in the U.S. It's nice to have people you know attending your fights because you can feed off of their energy. This year most of my fights have been overseas because the promoters in China continue to offer me the opportunity to fight and travel. Within the next year, I'm looking to gain better connections with U.S. promoters so I can fight on their shows more often.

MTA: What are the plans for your future Muay Thai career, any guys you would like to fight?
Ky: My plans are to continue fighting whoever can force me to step up my game and improve my art. I would like to fight for a WBC title at some point. I plan on fighting my way up the ranks until I earn a shot at one of those green belts. Ultimately, I just want to fight the best fighters in the world and test my skills against theirs.

MTA: You have also had success in MMA, are you planning on eventually making a move to MMA permanently or is Muay Thai where you would like to remain?
Ky: I am passionate about both styles, I like having the ability to go back and forth between the two. Like Kevin Ross said, there's not enough money in Muay Thai right now to make fighting professional Muay Thai a career. If the opportunity to join a major MMA promotion presented itself I would probably take it. I would continue to train Muay Thai and hopefully workout a deal with the promotion that would allow me to fight Muay Thai as well.

MTA: Thanks for taking the time to talk to us, any last words for your fans?
Ky: Thank you for the constant support. I'll fight with everything I have to represent my fans and my school. I promise I'll make sure I have more fights in the U.S. next year so that you guys don't have to fly so far to see me.

Photo courtesy of Jeff Dojillo. For more of his excellent photography check out JeffDojillo.com.
Muay Thai Authority Muay Thai and Kickboxing News Site

Bringing you the latest in Muay Thai and Kickboxing news.

No comments:

Post a Comment