Friday, December 10, 2010

Miriam Nakamoto talks upcoming bout in China, and postponement of bout with Julie Kitchen


Miriam Nakamoto was kind enough to answer a few questions about her upcoming fight on December 18th in China for Muay Thai Authority. Miriam has had a big year in Muay Thai becoming the first American woman to win a WBC title, and was scheduled to fight England's Julie Kitchen in December, but the fight had to be postponed. Miriam is now fighting Chantal Ughi in China. Miriam talks about her upcoming opponent and gives her thoughts on Julie Kitchen pulling out of their fight.

MTA: You are going to be fighting at the WCK's upcoming show in China, how has your training been going for the fight?
Miriam: It's been good. Everything is on schedule, and if it wasn't I would never say otherwise.

MTA: You are set to face Chantal Ughi, does she bring any threats to this fight that you are worried could present any issues for you?
Miriam: I could see myself getting annoyed with her clinch, but we've extensively drilled the proper answers for that scenario. My coach says, "she's got a wet blanket of a clinch."

MTA: You were originally slated to face Julie Kitchen in what was expected to be one of the biggest Muay Thai fights here in the United States this year. Unfortunately she had to withdraw from the bout because of a cut. What are your feelings on her withdrawing from the fight? On your facebook you posted "it has been postponed due to the cut she received aaaall the way back on the 2nd of oct. hmmm". It sounds like you are a little skeptical about the reason she is pulling out.
Miriam: I think she should've fought. My coach (Kirian Fitzgibbons) would've slapped some super glue on it and thrown my butt right back into (training) camp, end of story. He is a believer that there is always a way to work around injuries. He would've said, "Miriam put some tussin on it and walk that shit off." and on a side note, it really sucks for all of the people who made nonrefundable travel arrangements. I'm the one over here so I've heard about it first hand.

MTA: Although the fight with Julie isn't happening this year, it is trying to be rescheduled for next year. Can you tell the fans what would have happened to Julie Kitchen had you fought her as originally planned?
Miriam: I have no idea. I do not predict anything when I fight. except that I will hurt anyone who is trying to hurt me. and I will hurt them more than they hurt me. period.

MTA: Like a lot of top Muay Thai fighters you have been really active this year, but unfortunately for the fans here in the United States the fights have been over seas. Are you looking to fight more in the United States in 2011?
Miriam: I certainly hope so. I'm looking to crawl out from under the rock I've been hiding under! My coach and manager Kirian Fitzgibbons, has been in conversation with Dennis Warner, who is the top Muay Thai promoter in the U.S., and from what I have been told 2011 is promising to be a good year for us state side.

MTA: You were on Fight Girls a few years back, and most of the finalist have turned to MMA or are not competing actively in Muay Thai, at least not at the pace you have been. What has made you so different than all of them that you have not turned to MMA and have been able to stay so active in Muay Thai?
Miriam: I don't know, I really do love Muay Thai. It is my passion, and at the same time, unfortunately, I can't seem to make ends meet living my passion. So we are going to have to expand into MMA and perhaps even back into boxing. But a WMC title would be nice before 2011 is up. : )

MTA: Thanks you for your time Miriam, and the best of luck in China. Any last words for your fans?
Miriam: Last words for my fans...??? I have fans? Yay!

As you can see Miriam is humble, and has a sense of humor. Trust us Miriam you have fans, and it is safe to say everyone is looking forward for 2011 and the fight with Julie Kitchen. Hopefully we see more Miriam Nakamoto stateside as well.
Muay Thai Authority Muay Thai and Kickboxing News Site

Bringing you the latest in Muay Thai and Kickboxing news.

No comments:

Post a Comment