Monday, March 14, 2011

Omar Ahmed: Ready to expand abroad


If you walk into Sitan Gym in Queens, NY odds are you will find Omar Ahmed training, or coaching. The Queens, NY native is on a mission to become the best Muay Thai practitioner he can be. Like anyone looking to strive for greatness you need discipline and dedication, and Omar has let Muay Thai engulf his life.

"Muay Thai is basically my life in a lot of ways because I am a pro fighter and I do teaching and coaching as well when I'm not in the ring as my job." said Omar. "Muay Thai brings me peace, happiness, and lots of fun...and I get paid to do it so its a blessing."

Omar first began his training at the age of twelve, and since then has flourished under the tutelage of Aziz Nabih. Sitan Gym has been his home since he began training at the age of twelve. It is hard training, and as Omar put it "straight business". The grueling training sessions, the suffering that goes on when preparing to compete is all done with one purpose. Building a champion.

"We take this sport very serious and I work really hard with him (Aziz)." said Omar. " It's straight business when it comes to training (he makes me suffer from hard work but it paid off)."

The time for Omar to venture out is approaching, Sitan is his home, but with the level of Muay Thai in the United States not in exactly the best condition, he wants to test his skills world wide. Although no stranger to travelling and fighting abroad this upcoming move would seem to be more permanent. Omar has visited and fought in Thailand before. When in Thailand he trained at 13 coins along side the legendary fighter Saenchai. While there he also competed at world renowned Lumpini Stadium. The experience is something Omar states was one of the best he has had in his Muay Thai career, but at the same time it was also one of the hardest. Omar embraced the opportunity that came to him though and was able to put on one of his best performances.

"I was asked if I would want to fight in Lumpini against a Thai on TV there and I was very honored to have that opportunity. Having Saenchai tell me I'm a good fighter and getting lots of attention from the Thais gave me a lot of confidence for it. It was the best experience of my life." said Omar. "What was going through my mind was that this is a opportunity that most foreign fighters don't get and I just got it offered to me so I took it with out thinking twice and had one of my best performances there. I got a lot of respect from the Thais after that fight and I was very relaxed and my mind was very clear and focused."

Looking to fight the best Omar plans on travelling abroad once again, either to Holland or Thailand. This time based on the fight opportunities he receives he will be relocating for short periods of time. His goal is simple for his career, and that is to fight the best and climb up the ladder as far as he can while he can. Omar plans on having about three more fights in the United States before setting off to fight abroad. He isn't looking to call any names out.

"I really don't want to fight anyone in a sense that I don't like them or nothing... I just want entertaining bouts to be part of and I always have put on great shows all over the world." said Omar.

Omar's agenda is simple. Fight the best talent he can, put on entertaining bouts, and be the best fighter he can be. What more can you ask for from a fighter?
Muay Thai Authority Muay Thai and Kickboxing News Site

Bringing you the latest in Muay Thai and Kickboxing news.

No comments:

Post a Comment