Thursday, October 27, 2011

Cyrus Washington talks about his draw with Stephen Richards


Cyrus Washington and Stephen Richards fought this past weekend at Bangkok Fight Night 11 in Atlanta, GA. On the line that night was the WBC Muay Thai national super middleweight title, but at the end of the night no one walked away with the title. The fight was declared a draw, much to the surprise of Washington. Muay Thai Authority caught up with Washington to get his thoughts on the fight and the result.

MTA: You just fought in Atlanta at Bangkok Fight Night 11, the fight was the for a WBC National title and no one ended up taking the belt home because the fight was declared a draw. How surprised were you when they read that it was a draw?

Cyrus: I was more than surprised the fight was a draw Nathan. I felt and feel cheated. It's very bad things like this that happen in our sport. It's very disgraceful on top of the fact Muaythai doesn't get the recognition it should get. Stephen is a good fighter, but he only won 1 round maybe 2. I dominated 4 rounds by dumping him and kicking powerful enough to move his body many times. I think the judges don't know how to score Muaythai and they score punches that do no damage. That's not how Muaythai is scored.

MTA: If you can think of anything that helped Stephen get the draw what do you think it was? You had a knockdown in the third round and you were very active in the fight.

Cyrus: No disrespect to Stephen, but I won that fight the Thai way, I was cheated outta my hard work. There are many examples that I can use to show how this is a disgrace, the Cosmo and Sakmongkol fight being 1 that's recent, but there are many.

MTA:
Where do you go from here?

Cyrus: Now I am in Minnesota with Roger Huerta, Dave Mennay training for my MMA fight November 26th which will be on PPV so sponsors get at me. After that I am not sure what I am going to do. I have been offered a rematch, but I will think about that when I have time to.

MTA: If the re-match takes place are you ok with it being in Atlanta again?

Cyrus: If there is a re-match I am not sure if I am cool with it being in ATL. I will have time to think about this after my next fight.

MTA: Is there going to be a complete transition into MMA or is that just a one off thing?

Cyrus: I don't know about making a complete transition to MMA, but it is very important to me to become a part of this sport and that is a possibility-making a complete transition that is, we'll see. I will focus on the next fight and other things I have going on. The rematch is a big possibility, but only that for now. I mean no disrespect to anyone I only want the judges to learn the proper way to score a Muaythai bout. God bless you Nathan and thanks. Checkout and subscribe to my youtube channel.
Muay Thai Authority Muay Thai and Kickboxing News Site

Bringing you the latest in Muay Thai and Kickboxing news.

No comments:

Post a Comment