Thursday, December 8, 2011

Chris "Mr. Classic" Romulo retires from Muay Thai



Chris “Mr. Classic” Romulo, professional Muay Thai Fighter and coach, will retire from active competition after 16 years in the sport. At the age of 37, Romulo is hanging up his gloves to focus on his family and coaching. Romulo started his career as an amateur in 1996 when he was 21 years of age. He had a successful amateur career posting a record of 18-3-1 (7 KO’s) and winning five amateur titles. As a professional Romulo won the WKA Super Middleweight North American title in 2010 and his professional record stands at 13-3 (10 KO’s).

Romulo took some time to answer a few questions for Muay Thai Authority about his retirement.

MTA: Chris after a long successful career why have you decided to retire?

Chris: I love this sport and I will continue on all levels. Since 2008, when I met my wife-to-be at the time, I have experienced good timing for a lot of recent happenings in my life. This is just another example of good timing. I never wanted to be forced into retiring, whether it was injury or that I was fighting way past my prime. I always wanted to retire with my ego and physical in the correct attitude.

MTA: Looking back on your career what would you consider your greatest accomplishment?

Chris: I am an optimist. My greatest accomplishment happened in my last fight and loss. Nobody gave me a chance in the fight against Yarborough. Me being the smaller guy, coming from NYC where we are "amateurs at best", and never having fought full rules MT in NY. The odds were against me. I never let an ounce of that taint me. I stayed focused on the goal with my trainer, family and students in full belief and left my mark. I know it was recorded as a loss but I know in my heart I won the crowd.

MTA: What are your future plans, do you plan on strictly coaching?

Chris: Yes, coaching fighters, teaching, building my school here in Rockaway Beach, NY and being a spokesperson for the anti-bullying campaign, "Bullying...we're kickin' it". I originally learned about Muay Thai after I got beat to a pulp in a street-fight as a young guy;-). I started training so that it would NEVER happen again (never has). I became so infatuated with the history and culture of the sport that I forgot about why I learned it in the first place, to learn how to protect myself in the street. I recently became the only NYC certified instructor under Tony Blauer and his world renowned Personal Defense Readiness system. I am integrating his methods into my experiences as a martial artist and professional fighter to teach people how to deal with psychological and physical confrontations.

MTA: Any parting words for your fans, family and supporters as you step away from the sport?

Chris: I want to thank everyone that supported my efforts and dreams through the years. My ultra-patient son who has been there with me, waiting during training at different gyms around the city, being at my fights win or lose, and just understanding that his dad had to chase his dreams. My wife, family, friends, teachers/coaches, training partners and fans who have always cheered to the very end. All it takes is heart. I am, first and foremost, a family man; two sons and a wife that I need to be closer to.

Chris Romulo’s career isn’t only measured in the ring; he worked diligently outside of the ring to help others. In 2009, Romulo was selected alongside MMA fighters Jason “Mayhem” Miller and Scott “Hands of Steel” Smith as a spokesperson for the American based anti-bullying campaign “Bullying...We’re Kickin’ It”. He has also worked with the Muaythai Preservation Project as part of their essay contest to program to provide kids with training. Romulo provides training at CROM Martial Training in Rockaway Beach, New York. Muay Thai training for kids & adults as well as street defense and strength & conditioning are all available. 

Romulo helped develop the New York Muay Thai scene. His name is synonymous with Muay Thai in the “Big Apple”. We are sure that with his contributions outside the ring, his name will continue to be a big part of Muay Thai.
Muay Thai Authority Muay Thai and Kickboxing News Site

Bringing you the latest in Muay Thai and Kickboxing news.

No comments:

Post a Comment