Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Omar Ahmed talks about his upcoming fight at Lumpinee Stadium


New York’s Omar Ahmed is currently training in Thailand. He has an upcoming fight at Lumpinee Stadium this Saturday night against Ramon Kaewsamrit and was kind enough to take some time from his training to talk to Muay Thai Authority about the upcoming fight and his future plans. Omar will be moving up a weight class for the upcoming fight, after spending his entire career in the super lightweight division his next fight is in the welterweight division. 

MTA: You are fighting Ramon Kaewsamrit on Saturday night at Lumpinee Stadium. How has your training in Thailand been going?

Omar: My training has been going really well I been training hard for this fight everyday.

MTA: What camp are you training at while out in Thailand?

Omar: I’m training in 13 coins (that’s the only camp I train at when I come to Thailand).

MTA: You are fighting at a higher weight than usual, 147 to be exact. Why?

Omar: Yea I decided to move up in weight class because I have gotten taller and I’m growing as I get a little bit older. Although I can still make 140 I decided to see how I can do at 147 because it’s a whole other division of fighters I can take on and I believe I did well through out the years at 140 so I want a bigger challenge for myself.

MTA: How do you feel your skills have improved since arriving in Thailand?

Omar: I feel my skills always improve when I come to Thailand because I train with fighters at a much higher level than back in the states including lots of sparring with Saenchai when he’s in town. I learn a lot of techniques from him and from some others as well and I’ve built a pretty good friendship with him and the trainers and people here over the past 3 years.

MTA: How long do you plan on staying?

Omar: I was planning on staying till mid January, but I have some really good fight offers and opportunities here that not anyone I believe can get from the states because of the friendships I have built with some good connections out here. For example I have done a TV commercial here and I have been offered to do some more as well as some movies.

MTA: Anyone you would like to face when you do decide to return to the United States?

Omar: I feel I’ve fought everyone I need to fight in the U.S and the only guy I feel I need to fight is Kevin Ross. I respect him as a fighter and I feel he’s beat all of the guys I have beat and the only guy he hasn’t fought yet that’s a good contender in the U.S. is me. I would want to do it in New York because I think it’s good for the Muay Thai scene out there and the fans. They dont get big fights to watch there and there are many big fights on the west coast or in Lumpinee Stadium in Thailand.

MTA: Any words for all your supporters back home?

Omar: For my supporters back home, I really hope I make you guys proud by representing the U.S. and New York over seas and I hope to never let those who support me down because honestly having supporters means a lot to me no matter how many of them it is, its always a great feeling to know people are proud of you. I plan on taking it to the top of this game one day and I hope they can support me along the way. Thailand is an awesome country and I love it here very much... after this next fight I will make some big decisions on what to do as far as staying and taking those opportunities.
Muay Thai Authority Muay Thai and Kickboxing News Site

Bringing you the latest in Muay Thai and Kickboxing news.

No comments:

Post a Comment