Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Strahinja Ivanovic talks about his upcoming fight with Marcus Fisher


Strahinja Ivanovic is a Serbian Muay Thai fighter that is now based in Virginia. He relocated to the United States to fight Muay Thai full time. Ivanovic has an upcoming fight against Marcus Fisher at Friday Night Fights Muay Thai season opener. He took some time out of his busy training schedule to answer a few question for Muay Thai Authority about his upcoming bout and Muay Thai in Serbia.

MTA: How is the Muay Thai scene in Serbia?

Strahinja: Lately it is becoming popular, as a pro sport. National tournaments are held only in kickboxing - full contact, low kick and k1 rules (most similar to Muay Thai). There is always a big number of competitors, and fighting quality is high. Fighters are divided in two quality classes: B class ( up to 15 fights), and A class. Three national tournaments in those styles are most important to us fighters, but other then that there is a huge number of pro shows in Serbia and surrounding country, Balkan cups, European and world cups that we attend. Unlike here, back home we fight amateur and pro simultaneously, one doesn't exclude the other.

What I like about Muay Thai in the States is various styles of fighters. All of this seems more like one big international scene, then a single country competitions. A lot of fighters from all over the world, different approach to the fight game out of each of them, different schools, coaching... Just beautiful.

MTA: You moved over to the U.S. to continue you Muay Thai career. What was the first thing you realized about the Muay Thai scene when you moved over here?

Strahinja: Unfortunately, the first thing that you realize here is how MMA (which Idon't consider sport at all) has a primate among fight sports. The reason why is because of TV and media coverage of this sport. But if presented with same publicity, Muay Thai would be way more interesting to spectators and I'm sure the time will come when people will realize that. Muay Thai Authority is a great way of presenting people real Muay Thai, and the way a guys are presenting Muay Thai scene here will help the growth of our sport in the States. I would say that fighters here are physically strong and spend a lot of time working on their strength training (which I hate xaxa), which leads to better fighst and performances. As I said there are various fight styles and competitors.

MTA:
Your upcoming fight is with Marcus Fisher. How familiar are you with him?

Strahinja: Not much. I'm not adapting my style to the opponent, so it makes no difference who I'm fighting with. I trained hard with my coaches at Warrior Gym in Alexandria, VA since my last fight with David Branch in November, so I'll be able to dictate pace and put on the style I want to. This is just one of the steps to the top

MTA: Where do you feel is your strongest advantage in the fight?

Strahinja:
My speed before all, and my boxing skills. I was working with famous Olympic boxer from eight-is, Slobodan Pavlovic, back home on my boxing skills and still my boxing combos can finish the fight any moment. Nowadays, working with my coaches from Thailand my style has changed and I become dangerous in all aspects.

MTA: Not looking past your fight with Marcus what are your future plans or immediate plans after this fight?

Strahinja: My next fight should be against Travis Lerchen, date and place are not set yet. After that I'm hoping to get some fights on West Coast and show my skills there. My coach has a gym on Thailand so a trip to Bangkok is also one of the things I want to do this year. I made a New Year resolution that I don't want lose a single fight in this year, so let's see where it will take me. I have big support from my gym, coaches, friends and above all my girlfriend and with this energy and people around me, only the sky is the limit.

MTA: Can you give us a prediction for your fight with Marcus?

Strahinja: I hope it will be a good and technical fight and that I'll be able to finish it before the final bell. Maybe with the left hook, that's how I like it the best.

MTA:
Anything you want to say to your supporters?

Strahinja:
For this part, acts say more then words. So Jan 20th, Friday Night Fights NYC, be there. And sorry for grammar mistakes, I fight much better then I spell :)))
Muay Thai Authority Muay Thai and Kickboxing News Site

Bringing you the latest in Muay Thai and Kickboxing news.

No comments:

Post a Comment