Thursday, February 2, 2012

Jose Palacios talks upcoming fight against Shane Oblonsky at Lion Fight Promotions "Battle in the Desert 5"


Jose Palacios will be fighting Shane Oblonsky February 25th in Las Vegas at Lion Fight Promotions “Battle in the Desert 5”. The hard hitting Palacios will be looking to start 2012 with a win. Muay Thai Authority caught up with Palacios to talk about the upcoming fight as well as his future plans and working his way back to a title shot.

MTA: How is training for your upcoming fight with Shane Oblonsky going?

Jose: You know the thing about training and fighting. It's a love hate relationship. I can't say that I enjoy all the training that I do. It hurts... but I do love the results. How's training going? The way it’s supposed to, kicking my behind. Sometimes I'm sick of it... but then I just accept what it is. Insanity. Ha!


MTA: Once again you were set to fight Kit Cope and once again he had to pull out of the fight. How do you feel about the opponent switch again?

Jose: Kit dropping out doesn't really affect me at all to be honest. I knew the risk, the promoters knew the risk and they had a back up just in case. In many ways I see Shane being a fight that's just as tough if not tougher. He's young and hungry... willing to go through whatever steps necessary. So thanks to Shane I will have another wonderful opportunity to fight in this great promotion.

MTA: Last time your opponent was switched two days before the event and you dropped a close split decision to Malaipet. How much did the opponent switch affect you in that fight?

Jose: Fighting Malaipet in 2 days notice was a learning experience for sure. The guy is tough as they come. His experienced doubled mine; tripled even... it was an honor fighting him. If he was the original opponent we would've changed a few things in training, but like I said, it's a learning experience. Guy kicks like a horse ... good for him.

There were other factors too... I cut too much weight, I came in at 143, we had issues with our scale and I just wanted to be sure better than sorry.

He came in over 150 and he wouldn't drop no lower than 149. I just wanted to fight so I agreed to whatever, again another learning experience.

MTA: As far as Shane goes, how familiar are you with him?

Jose: I've seen Shane fight a few times, and one thing is the guy is game. He's big and wants it. Makes me wonder why I'm fighting at this weight sometimes. Hahaha, but seriously watching video and being in there are completely different, let's just say I'm not taking anyone lightly.

MTA: Where do you feel you will hold the advantage in this fight?

Jose: I feel I hold an advantage on a couple things, but I don't really want to share that. ;) I rather show it off.

MTA: How important is it for you to earn a re-match with Malaipet again for the WBC National title he now holds and if you win this fight is he the next person you want to fight?

Jose: Fighting Malaipet for the WBC National Title is in fact the goal. Not over looking Shane of course, but I believe I earned that fight last year and a Victory would've made it the perfect ending to the 2011 chapter.

Fighting Malaipet after Shane would be great. That’s something my coach and I would need to talk about after this fight is over. I'm not even thinking that at the moment. One fight at time my brotha... one fight at a time.

MTA: You had a strong 2011 campaign going 3-1 with some spectacular KO wins. What are you plans for 2012, anyone you would like to get in the ring with in particular?

Jose: 2011 was an awesome year. It was my first year back from a long lay off, I was on the brink of just hanging the gloves and I'm glad I decided to stick around. 2012 I expect to be a better year. The competition will only get stronger which means I have to as well. As far as me calling anyone out, not really. I want to fight the best win or lose. Malaipet has the belt so that's a goal of mine to get to it.

MTA: Any words for your supporters?

Jose: I would like to thank GFY Gear, Unlimited MMA, NoKO, Score Clinic, TLC Chiro Care for taking care of me and Fighting Pride. You guys are awesome. And for people out there who enjoy watching me fight and are considered fans, thank for the support and the warm wishes. Sometimes that's what gets us through. Thank you very much and make sure get to watch this bout. It's gonna be a good one. I predict a lot of wows and oooohhs... :) don't miss it.

If you're near by check us out, www.unlimitedmma.com. Thank you and thank you Nate.
Muay Thai Authority Muay Thai and Kickboxing News Site

Bringing you the latest in Muay Thai and Kickboxing news.

No comments:

Post a Comment