Thursday, November 28, 2013

Coach's Corner: Rudi Ott


Muay Thai in North America is has been on the upswing the past few years. North American based fighters are finally starting to get the recognition they deserve, so we figured why not shed some light on the men behind the fighters, their trainers. Here in the second installment of the Coach's Corner we interview Rudi Ott of Northern California.
 
Name: Rudi Ott

Gym: Unlimited MMA

Location: Milpitas, California, United States

Pro Fighters: Jose Palacios, Miranda Cayabyab   


MTA: When and why did you start training Muay Thai/Kickboxing?

Rudi: I've trained in Martial Arts all of my life for the most part. Started out in traditional Kung Fu when I was 10. In 1987 at 13 I traveled to China to train Wushu at the Beijing Sport University. We were one of the first groups of westerners to be allowed to train there. It was an amazing experience that I will carry with me for the rest of my life. I took about 10 years off to be a kid and at 23 returned to my old Kung Fu school. That's when I discovered San Shou/Sanda (Chinese Kickboxing) and started training under Jason Yee.

Throughout my career I've crossed trained with Muay Thai fighters but it wasn't until I opened my gym in 2005 that I focused on Muay Thai. I've had the pleasure of learning nuances of the art from good friends like Jongsanan, Kevin Ross and others along with my trips to Thailand. To me San Shou and Muay Thai are cousins. While San Shou emphasizes throws from the clinch, Muay Thai is knee and elbow centric. It's all fighting to me. Western boxing, Dutch Kickboxing, San Shou, Muay Thai, have all had influence on what I teach.
 

MTA: How long have you been teaching Muay Thai/Kickboxing?

Rudi: Because of the training I had as a kid I was a quick learner. I can essentially watch something and then repeat it. So I started assisting right away. So training and teaching pretty much started at the same time in 1995. My first fight was in 1996.

MTA: Did you fight before teaching?

Rudi: Martial Arts training essentially saved my life. When I walked through the doors of my old school at 23 it was like a ton of bricks hit me. I had an epiphany, saw the light. I knew right then, that pursuing that feeling is what I would do. As I started assisting classes I realized I had a connection to those I was teaching and quickly realized that teaching was something that I could do and wanted to do. My passion for fighting came after.

MTA: When did you realize teaching was something that would become an essential part of your life?
 
Rudi: What do I enjoy more, teaching or fighting? Well teaching/coaching is more rewarding but also way more stressful. Though my last fight was 8 years ago I'm still a fighter at heart. If I could've stayed young I would still be a fighter first. I think that's what makes me a good Coach. It's really hard to replace the experience of being in the ring, challenging yourself against another human in front of thousands of people. There's nothing like it! So I live through my fighters now, I'm with them in the ring. Their triumph is mine, their failure is mine. To help someone pursue their dreams is the most gratifying experience in my life.

MTA: Where do you teach out of?

Rudi: I own and run Unlimited MMA in Milpitas, CA.

MTA:
What is your best memory from your fight career and what is your worst?

Rudi: My best memory from my fight career? Hmmm, fighting has brought me all over the world. I've fought on Pay per view, on ESPN. That's hard, of course winning the IKF Middleweight World Title is up there but I would have to say it was the Art of War, USA vs. China card at the Blaisdell Arena in 1999. The week leading up to the fight was intense, training alongside of Cung Le, Jongsanan Fairtex, Alex Gong and my other teammates raised my level. The magnitude of our best against their best was indescribable. The intensity of that moment and the energy in that Arena cannot be replaced. My worst memory fighting had to be my rematch against Dave Marinoble. I had just beaten the guy in a war and was not motivated to fight him again 4 months later. I was sick throughout the entire camp. I remember trying to pump myself up before in the locker room and it just wasn't there. I was an emotional fighter so that usually wasn't a problem. It wasn't me out there. I was just going through the motions. Because of that I lost that fight

MTA: Did you have a nickname as a fighter and what was it?

Rudi: I never had a nickname but two times I was given one. In 1997 on PPV the announcer decided on his own to call me Rudi "Mel" Ott (famous baseball player). You should've seen the look at my face. Needless to say I was not happy about it and took it out on my opponent. The other time was the USA vs. CHINA card. I was given "Striker" and hated it. Didn't want anything to do with nicknames after that.
 
MTA: What is your philosophy as a trainer?

Rudi: My philosophy as a trainer is to fight with passion. My fighters have different skill sets so I try to get the best out of what they've got. Obviously there are things technically that I believe work and try to instill those attributes in all of them.

MTA: What are your thoughts on the state of North American Muay Thai?

Rudi: I think the state of North American Muay Thai is ever evolving. I think our best fighters can compete with anyone internationally. Obviously MMA runs the combat sport arena but with the exposure promotions like LION FIGHT and now Glory are bringing to the table I think the stand up arts will get more attention.

MTA: How easy or difficult was the transition from fighter to trainer, it is difficult for a lot of fighters to let go of fighting?

Rudi: The transition for me wasn't that difficult. My body started failing me from years of intense training. I tried to get on the second season of TUF to maybe prolong my career so when I didn't get on I decided to move forward to opening my own gym. Though I think I could've fought for a few more years I think I made the right decision.

MTA: How do you build the trainer/coach bond, is it something that happens over time or are there other factors that come into play into establishing that relationship?

Rudi: Building the bond between trainer and fighter does take time. Some you connect with more readily. I think that depends on the student. Those with a good work ethic will catch on quicker. Some have the natural ability to pick up things, others you have to drill over and over. Everyone is different.

MTA: Best advice you can give to anyone who is interested in training or just starting out?

Rudi: Best advice I can give someone starting out would be to find a good coach. Trust in their guidance and train hard every day.
Muay Thai Authority Muay Thai and Kickboxing News Site

Bringing you the latest in Muay Thai and Kickboxing news.

No comments:

Post a Comment