Sunday, February 15, 2015

Chris Mauceri talks upcoming Lion Fight 20 bout against Sittisak


Chris Mauceri will be in action this upcoming weekend at Lion Fight 20. Chris will be fighting against Sittisak in the co-main event. 

 
Chris is coming of the biggest win of his career against Thai veteran Coke Chunhawat and will be looking to score another big win over a Thai veteran in Sittisak. We were able to catch up with Chris around Christmas time to talk about his upcoming fight with Sittisak as well as some other things in his fight career, enjoy.


MTA: You are set to fight at Lion Fight 20 against Sittisak. Facing a Thai veteran like Sittisak, how do you adjust your training?

Chris: I haven't really adjusted my training for Sittisak. Throughout my career I've always focused on improving all of my techniques as much as I could from fight to fight. I feel that trying to tailor your training to your opponent can cause you to lose track of other skills that you need to work on. I'm not much of a game planner to begin with I like to be prepared to win any way I have to.

MTA: You are coming off a huge win at Lion Fight 19 over Coke Chunhawat. How big of a win was that for you?

Chris: The win was huge for me. Coke was by far the most experienced fighter I've ever faced, and it was my first time fighting a Thai. I felt like I really needed the win because a lot of people doubted my abilities after the fight with Kevin Ross, and I was happy with how I performed. I felt that as the fight went on I was able to adjust and capitalize on openings, and use my technique instead of toughness, something that I often fall back on.

MTA: Do you see any similarities between Sittisak and Cokes's fighting style that might work in your favor for this fight?

Chris: I've only watched one of Sittisak's fights so far, but I do see some similarities between him and Coke. They are both primarily counter fighters, have strong kicks and are good at using their elbows. I think that like in the fight with Coke the clearest advantage I'll have is my boxing, but I'm comfortable kicking and clinching as well. I learned some things in the fight with Coke that I needed to work on that I think will help me a lot in this fight.

MTA: Thai fighters traditionally are known for starting slow. Do you see the early rounds as keys to victory as far as getting ahead on the score cards?

Chris: I think with American scoring it can be a good plan to try and steal the early rounds while a traditional Thai is still getting started, but I’m not really planning on it. I don't like to focus on scoring, just trying to win the fight every round, but I always like to finish strong in the fourth and fifth if the fight goes there.

MTA: You have been a regular since Lion Fight has come to east coast. How has the promotions expansion to Connecticut been beneficial to your career?

Chris: Lion Fight coming to the East coast has been amazing for me. They have the pull to bring high level fighters over here, whether it's from the West Coast or international fighters. They've been able to give me huge opportunities against world class fighters, one of the only ways I feel I can keep improving. I have a few great training partners and great coaching, but training here isn't like training at a high level gym in Thailand or something, with a bunch of world class guys to train with every day. I need tough opponents to push me and help me to keep learning.

MTA: It's the holiday season, do you indulge in all the eating of goodies that typically goes on during the holidays or has your fight preparation for Sittisak already started?

Chris: My fight preparation for Sittisak has started already; I really didn't take time off after the fight with Coke. I'll definitely make some time to enjoy the holidays and spend some time with my friends and family though. I'm never very far away from fight weight, so I can pretty much eat whatever I want over the holidays, and as long as I'm training hard it won't really affect me at all. I'm not much for unhealthy foods anyway, so I don't ever feel like I'm missing out if I have to skip dessert.

MTA: In your fight with Kevin Ross you were cut by an elbow very early and that is what eventually forced the stoppage. Is that a re-match you would really like to have?

Chris: The rematch with Kevin is definitely a fight I would like to have, because he is the guy at the top of the division right now, and that's where I want to be. I don't want to be a guy campaigning for an undeserved rematch though, I'm happy as long as I keep getting challenging fights and I'll earn my way there the way a fighter should.

MTA: Kevin is the current 140lb Lion Fight champion if you get a streak going could you make it to 140 if the title were on the line in a rematch?

Chris: Yes easily. The fight with Coke was at 140 and I made the cut no problem. I walk around about 155 so it’s not a very difficult cut for me.

MTA: How active do you want to be this coming year, what is the perfect number of fights in a year for you?

Chris: I want to be as active as possible this year. Because of the cut I got fighting Ross I wasn't able to fight as much as I wanted to in 2014, but I still was able to get three fights in. I'm hoping to fight at least 5 or 6 times in 2015, but I would fight once a month if I could ha-ha.

MTA: What would you say was your favorite Muay Thai moment in 2014 on a personal level for you?

Chris: I would have to say my favorite moment for me personally was my fight with Kevin Ross. The outcome wasn't what I wanted, but I love a good fight and to just put it all out there, there's nothing more fun than that for me, win or lose.

MTA: As a fan what was your favorite moment in the sport for 2014?

Chris: There's been so many awesome things going on in Muay Thai this year, I really don't think I can put one above the rest. I think the most exciting thing for me has just been to see the general rise in the level of American fighters. There's finally more than just a couple guys who are starting to compete at a world class level, and the sport is growing so much it's amazing to be a part of it.

MTA: A question all strikers get asked, are you considering making the jump to MMA at any point or is it only striking for you?

Chris: I actually had a MMA fight as an amateur. I trained some wrestling and Jiu Jitsu for a while, and I managed to stop a pretty skilled grappler with ground and pound in the 2nd round. It was fun, but I have no plans on going back to MMA. I love Muay Thai, and that's where I'd like to stay for the foreseeable future.

MTA: Any words for your supporters?

Chris: I'd just like to say thanks to everyone out there who supports me, all my family and friends, fans, and my team at Stockade Martial Arts, I love you all and I couldn't do it without you!
Muay Thai Authority Muay Thai and Kickboxing News Site

Bringing you the latest in Muay Thai and Kickboxing news.

1 comment:

  1. Learn how to defend yourself from the most common scenarios. Sean McCully will break down an easy step by step lesson for you to learn at home. Learn to protect yourself now! Subscribe Now

    ReplyDelete