Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Amateur Fighter Spotlight: Pawel Zawistowski



The Muay Thai and Kickboxing world is filled with amateur fighters. Most of the amateurs won't turn into a professional fighter for one reason or another, while some will go on to make excellent pro athletes. If they go into the pro ranks or not one fact remains, they play a significant role in shaping the future of Muay Thai and Kickboxing. This week's Amateur Spotlight segment features Pawel Zawistowski.

Pawel who fights out of Kings Combat Fitness in Queens, NY recently won the Friday Night Fights 8-Man Tournament. We were able to catch up with Pawel and talk about why he started training, winning the tournament and his future goals.

MTA: When and why did you start training Muay Thai? 

Pawel: I started Muay Thai about 4 years ago. I always was a fan of combat sports especially stand up fighting, one day a friend of mine convinced me to try it out myself. A little time later I fell in love with Muay Thai and have been practicing ever since.

Photo by G. Binuya
MTA: What gym do you represent and what is your record? 

Pawel: I fight out of Kings Combat Fitness, it is located in Queens, NY. Dave Wai Moy is my Muay Thai coach and Andrew Rivera is my strength and conditioning coach. My record is 24W 4L.

MTA: What is your best memory since you started competing in Muay Thai?

Pawel: I would say the best memories are wining for the first time and also a victory in a title fight. Absolutely amazing feeling even until now.

MTA: When you started training was your goal to become a fighter? 

Pawel: At first I never thought I'd be fighting but after a year of training 6 days a week I told myself why not fight if I'm here training every day. So that's how it begun.

MTA: Is going pro something you are planning to do? 

Pawel: Yea I am planning on going pro very soon. I think I'm ready for it and whatever the future brings.

MTA: When can we expect to see you make your pro debut?

Pawel: Hopefully end of this year or beginning of the next. Time will tell.

MTA: What are your strengths that you think will help you in your transition to the pro ranks? 

Pawel: The strengths that will help me transition are my consistency, dedication and power of will. Every time I train for a fight I make sure I put in work and that I train hard every day.

Photo by Fury Magazine
MTA: You recently won the Friday Night Fights 8 man tournament. Can you describe to us the tournament atmosphere and how you felt after winning the tournament?

Pawel: The atmosphere in the room was incredible. Winning in front of my home town crowd and to be the first New Yorker to do so was epic.

MTA: What are your future goals in Muay Thai?

Pawel: The main goal is to be "the best in the world".

MTA: What do you think will be the biggest adjustment going from amateur to pro when you make that step?

Pawel: The biggest adjustment definitely the different pace, longer rounds, tougher competition that means train even harder. Besides that everything is pretty much the same.

MTA: Who are some of your favorite fighters? 

Pawel: There is a few Ernesto Hoost, Ramon Dekkers, Robin van Roosmalen, Tyrone Spong, Saenchai.

Muay Thai Authority Muay Thai and Kickboxing News Site

Bringing you the latest in Muay Thai and Kickboxing news.

No comments:

Post a Comment