Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Justin Greskiewicz: Looking to continue his climb to the top through rough terrain


In 1958 The Purple People Eater climbed up the Billboard pop charts and reached #1. There is now only one Purple People Eater and he lives in Philadelphia. Much like the 1958 Sheb Wooley classic, he is looking to climb to the top, though not in the music industry, to a beat of his own nonetheless. For those not familiar with him, Justin "The Purple People Eater" Greskiewicz fights out of Cool Hearts gym in Philadelphia, PA where they train and fight under the slogan, "We fight sexy." Greskiewicz has made his name in the American Muay Thai scene by taking on all comers. With his trademark purple hair, his exciting and dynamic fight style, he has become a top contender in the U.S. Muay Thai scene.

Currently on the mind of Greskiewicz is a rubber match with Turan Hasanov at Friday Night Fights September 23rd event in New York. Greskiewicz and Hasanov have split a pair of fights, though in Greskiewicz' opinion, the score should be 2-0. He strongly feels that he won the last fight against Hasanov, despite the judges awarding Hasanov a split-decision to even them up at one fight a piece.

"From what I remember," Greskiewicz says, "I felt like I was outscoring him everywhere. I landed more kicks, out-clinched him, and landed more punches. I felt confident that all my techniques were more effective and that I basically outclassed him. Honestly, I don't know what I could have done more than put him away. I didn't see it as necessary to get in there and brawl with him because I was outscoring him. Sincerely, I don't know why the judges could have scored in his favor besides maybe his aggression. He does have a good mean face."

Having fought Hasanov twice, Greskiewicz will be looking to work his gameplan around what he is familiar with about the man they call "The Tornado". He feels he has a sense of what he can expect in the fight and the only thing he really needs to worry about is one of Hasanov's "big swinging punches". Grewskiewicz acknowledges he needs to make him pay when he moves in swinging because if he doesn't it will play to Hasanov's advantage.

"The only place where I feel Turan may have an advantage is his big swinging punches," said Greskiewicz. "If I let him land them without making him pay for it, that will be his advantage."

Confidence runs deep in Greskiewicz and fear is practically non-existent. In July he faced one of the worlds top ranked fighters in the UK's Liam Harrison at the Warriors Cup XII in New Jersey. With Liam locked into fight at the event, fighters being asked to face him weren't jumping at the opportunity, in stepped Justin Grewskiewicz. It has become an inside joke amongst some that if Justin Greskiewicz were offered a fight with King Kong his answer would be, "when and where." Stepping into the fight as a heavy under dog there was no Rocky Balboa type victory for Greskiewicz that night. He considers the bout a learning experience and doesn't regret stepping into the right with Harrison.

"Liam is one of the best. I took away from it that I could get in there and mix it up with one of my heroes," said Greskiewicz. "It wasn't my best performance, and I didn't come out on top, but I learned some valuable things and I am glad I took that fight."

Despite his last fight being against a world class fighter, Greskiewicz realizes this is a different fight. The only thing Hasanov and Harrison have in common is that neither of them are bums. There is no padding of the record in his fights with Hasanov; he is a legitimate opponent, and if he weren't, Greskiewicz wouldn't be mixing it up with him in the ring. He knows his record isn't perfect, but event the best fighters have blemishes on their records. Greskiewicz doesn't believe in sacrificing quality opponents to get a win and his sentiments come through loud and clear.

"I love winning, but going in there and beating up some bum doesn't teach you anything. It won't make you any better. I'm always pushing myself and taking fights that no one else wants. If you take a look at the best of all time, their records aren't close to perfect," said Greskiewicz. "They were fighting the top of the game every time out. Muay Thai isn't like boxing where you take 3 warm up fights before you challenge yourself; you're getting thrown in there with real sharks every time out. I'm not in this game to get a pat on the back by beating someone up: I'm in this game to take it where I can. I could say I'm never gonna lose along the way, but I'll lose again. Not Friday though."

He doesn't take easy fights, he's confident, skilled, and he has personality to boot. What can't you like about "The Purple People Eater"?
Muay Thai Authority Muay Thai and Kickboxing News Site

Bringing you the latest in Muay Thai and Kickboxing news.

No comments:

Post a Comment