Thursday, March 1, 2012

Eddie Walker talks recent win and future plans


Muay Thai Authority recently spoke to one of Georgia’s top Muay Thai fighters, Eddie Walker. We discussed his recent win over Matt Callahan as Bangkok Fight Night 12, his experience on the Enfusion TV reality show and what his future plans are.

MTA: You just scored a KO victory over Matt Callahan at Bangkok Fight Night 12. You are known as an exciting fighter is that how you expected the fight to go?

Eddie: I never really expect to knock out my opponent, but I did have a feeling that I was going to win this fight before it started.

MTA: When he went down, did you know that was it for him and he wasn't going to get back up?

Eddie: Oh yeah! When I connected with that last over hand right, I saw his mouth piece fly into the crowd and him collapse onto the floor I knew it was over. He was a tough guy, and I think he was actually trying to stand up when the ref stopped it, but you could tell he was out of it.

MTA: Is that something you can feel, when you knock someone down?

Eddie: For me, not really. I don't concentrate on the knock out, so when I knock someone down I try to get to a corner as quick as I can so the ref will start counting. You never know how much punishment a man can take and he may get up as fast you put him down.

MTA: You had a good run on the Enfusion TV show, how was that experience?

Eddie: I loved the experience! I met some really cool people and I was able to display my skills in front of some of the world’s best. That trip completely changed my mind set when it comes to fighting. I am more determined and disciplined when it comes to my training than I have ever been before.

MTA: You’re a cruiserweight, not too many cruiserweights in the United States. Is there anyone in particular you would like to fight?

Eddie: Not really. I'm tired of fighting fighters out of Atlanta. I want to fight the best fighters that I can. I don't feel like I would go anywhere with my career if I fought anyone that wasn't considered one of the best. Although I know I may be looked at the same way to some of the bigger fighter names in the industry. I really want to fight over in Europe more, because the sport is much larger there than it is in the States.

MTA: Have you ever considered a drop down to light heavyweight where there a quite a few more fighters or would making 175lbs be a stretch?

Eddie: This last fight I weighed in at 180lbs and I felt very strong at that weight. I could probably make 175lbs., but I don't see myself really making it any lower than that. But you never know unless you try and if the fight was big enough I may try even harder.

MTA: What do you have coming up next?

Eddie: I'm in talks with a promotion in London about a fight card in April that they are trying to match me up for hopefully for an Intercontinental Title. That would be pretty sweet, but I'm just going to keep training anyway and hopefully get a lot of offers this year to stay busy.

MTA: Any words for your supporters?

Eddie: I really do appreciate everyone's support and I hope that you continue following me until I can't do this anymore. I love this sport and I love the fact that I have a chance to bring Muay Thai to the forefront for a lot of people that only know MMA. The recognition from all of you makes it worth all the pain in suffering dealt in the gym! Thank you!
Muay Thai Authority Muay Thai and Kickboxing News Site

Bringing you the latest in Muay Thai and Kickboxing news.

No comments:

Post a Comment