Thursday, March 1, 2012

Fight Blog - Mostafa Abdollahi vs. Kym Johnson


by Mostafa Abdollahi
I was lucky to receive an invitation to participate in the Knees of Fury show in Adelaide on the 25th of Feb 2012. How I came to be on the fight card is a long story; with JWP sustaining an injury, Ky Hollenbeck withdrawing etc, I eventually received a call 3 weeks before the show from the promoter asking me to fight Kym Johnson. This was fine for me as I was still in shape from my last fight with Berneung Top King in Phuket. I had not sustained any injuries from that fight so I was ready to fight again on the 25th. In preparation for the fight, I watched some of Kym’s fights online with my trainer so we could formulate a strategy for the fight.

The weigh-in was the day before, I made 72.3kg pretty easily. Then I had a good rest, and plenty of food! The next day, I had a chat with my cornerman and great friend Jason Lapin from Jabout in Sydney; he gave me some additional advice for my fight and we made a game plan together. I was feeling super confident, I knew that Kym liked to be busy, move around a lot, not too much clinching, so I had a solid strategy to counteract this.

During the fight, I kept my cool – not always an easy thing when you’re fighting the hometown favorite and the whole crowd is booing you! I paid attention to my cornermen, Jason was great as always in calming me down and I also had Chris “Tiger” White in my corner – a great fighter and a very smart guy. After round 3, my cornermen reminded me that I had to go super hard and do double the work because I was in Adelaide fighting the home favorite. I kept reminding myself that JWP was also there in the stadium so whatever the crowd’s opinion, I wanted to show my best! In round 4, I basically unleashed a fury of low kicks until Kym was unable to stand up.

I was really happy with my win because it’s my first in Australia. I love Australia; the beaches, the sunshine and the Aussie mentality, so I hope to get a lot more fights over there!

I would like to thank Ethan Shepp, all of the Knees of Fury guys, Jason Lapin, Chris White and my trainer Ajarn Gae from Elite Boxing Fight Club in Bangkok.

Massive thanks also to my sponsors: Fightlife,Bionutrics, Rhino Mouthguards, and FBT.
Muay Thai Authority Muay Thai and Kickboxing News Site

Bringing you the latest in Muay Thai and Kickboxing news.

No comments:

Post a Comment