Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Ray Cole talks about coming out of retirement to fight Moses Sangtiennoi at Push Kick Promotions "World Stand Off"


Ray Cole will be coming out of retirement March 2nd at Push Kick Promotions “World Stand Off” to fight Moses Sangtiennoi. Ray took some time to talk with Muay Thai Authority about his recent move to California from Florida, and coming out retirement to face Moses.

MTA: Big fight with Moses Sangtiennoi on March 2nd at Push Kick Promotions "World Stand Off". How is training going?

Ray: Training is going great! I've been getting a lot of gym time in with David Huey, Khru Santi and Muay Thai America Gym. Sheldon Gaines and their fight team have been really helpful in getting me back in shape.

MTA: You haven’t fought in roughly 3 years; you worried about having any ring rust when you step back in there?

Ray: I've definitely been knocking off a lot of ring rust during this training camp but I can't let that bother me or worry me going into the fight. I'm going to be as prepared as I possibly can be come fight night.

MTA: Has it been difficult getting back into a full training camp for yourself, or have you stayed in pretty good shape?

Ray: Well I'd like to think that I've always stayed in pretty decent shape, being a full-time trainer holding pads, it's been a pretty smooth transition for me to switch gears into fight training.

MTA: Moses has quite a bit of experience, as most Thai's do. Do you see any areas of his game that you might be able to capitalize on?

Ray: Yeah every Thai I've ever fought has had considerably more experience than I have, Moses being the more decorated with a really impressive record. I feel like I would be comfortable fighting Moses because of his style. He has a particular rhythm that I can identify with and I feel like I'll be comfortable setting up my right kick and defending his left. That is my theory anyway haha.

MTA: What made you decide to come out of retirement for this fight?

Ray: When I was given opportunity to take this fight I jumped on it right away. His father has always been a hero of mine. I watched a lot of his fights growing up. I've followed a little bit of Moses's career and thought that it would be great to be able to fight him. With that being said, I'm honored to be his opponent for his debut on American soil!

MTA: You are no longer in Tampa; you are now in Los Angeles. Why the change?

Ray: I am in Los Angeles now. My fiancée lives out here so I made the move back in August.

Khanomtom Muay Thai is expanding. We have Tampa Muay Thai, Newburgh Muay Thai up in NY and Jax Muay Thai in Jacksonville, FL. So our next project is Cali Muay Thai here in LA. It's in the works. I'm obviously still getting adjusted to the city here and now training for a fight pushed progress back a bit however it's my main goal right now.

MTA: Is it difficult leaving a school you build like Tampa Muay Thai behind?

Ray: It's definitely hard leaving your family behind. I miss my students, fighters, everyone but in the same breath, I'm not turning my back on them. I built Tampa Muay Thai Khanomtom with the intention of growing it as big as I can. Everything I do is for that cause. I will always be completely devoted to KMT and Tampa Muaythai where it all started.

MTA: Muay Thai has grown a lot in the last few years. For fans that haven't seen you fight what can they expect?

Ray: For those fans who haven't seen me fight yet they can expect to see an American fighter with a very traditional Thai style. I've not deviated at all from what I've learned training and fighting in Thailand, only reinforced it over the past couple years by instilling it in my students. If you've seen any of them fight, you have a pretty good idea of what to expect.

MTA: Any words for your supporters?

Ray: To all who support me, my students, my trainers, my fiancée, my family, I wouldn't live the life I do if it weren't for your everlasting support, faith and encouragement. I owe it all to you! For all KMT family members, I know you've been waiting for this one for a long time! This is for you!
Muay Thai Authority Muay Thai and Kickboxing News Site

Bringing you the latest in Muay Thai and Kickboxing news.

No comments:

Post a Comment