Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Cyrus Washington - Ready for the I-1 Muay Thai Grand Slam 2010


Thailand is the Mecca of Muay Thai, and for American Muay Thai enthusiast and fighters getting to train there is a dream come true. Cyrus Washington, a Saginaw, Michigan native has been living in Phuket, Thailand for over a year, training and honing his Muay Thai skills. Every time he steps into a ring he is representing the United States, but that doesn't add any pressure. Washington is currently preparing for the I-1 World Muay Thai Grand Slam 2010.

"No I feel no added pressure, although it is I-1" said Washington. "I am proud to be part of this event".

Washington will be participating in his second tournament in a month, he was part of the Toyota Vigo tournament in October. As far as his training goes he holds the philosophy of if its not broke then don’t try and fix it, and with such a short break in-between tournaments he just has to make sure he regains his strength.

"I was already in good shape, just had to regain my strength from the weight cut, diarrhea/dehydration" said Washington. "I'm stronger and ready for war."

Fighting in the same 4-man tournament with Washington will be Thiago Teixeira from Brazil, Andreas Rogner from Germany, and  Vladimir Moravcik from Slovakia. Winning the tournament will be no easy task for any of the fighters involved, however if it came down to charisma, hands down Washington would win. He wouldn't give predictions, but he did provide a Muhammad Ali type quote.

"No, I don't give prediction, all though my good looks, explosiveness, and scientific style of fight are pharaoh to others" said Washington. "LOL, just a little Ali likeness, no predictions though."

Washington is not only hoping to flow like a butterfly and sting like a bee in the I-1 tournament, but in his entire career, as his goals are simple. Be one of the best in both Muay Thai and Dutch Kickboxing. Fighting opposition like what he is facing the I-1 tournament is one way to start heading in the right direction. There are no easy fights on the way to the top.

Washington has always been an athlete and has been training martial arts since the age of five years old, and at the ripe old age of seven he knew his calling. While most were still playing with Tonka trucks and Gi-Joe's in the sand box, Washington knew he was destined to be a kickboxer.

"Even then I knew it was destined for me to get it on with the best" said Washington. "I am not trying to sound like a cocky a**hole, and I hope no one takes it that way, and the Ali thing was just a joke."

It's safe to say that no one can look at a fighter who is as dedicated as him as he put it an "a**hole", not when he brings such respect to the sport. He's a great Muay Thai representative for the United States, and he attributes his dedication and success to being open and letting Muay Thai become a part of him.

"I had to keep an open mind and allow Muay Thai to become a part of me and my life" said Washington. "Like I did with other martial arts in the past and all things I love."

As far as jumping into any other sports, mainly MMA since it is where all of the money is. Washington doesn't say no, but it isn't his focus and there is no desire to switch, if anything he would be more interested in boxing.

As American's we can't complain about having a guy like Cyrus Washington representing our country. If only we could get more guys like him over sees to represent the United States.

If any promoters are interested in contacting Cyrus for a fight he can be reached at inspirit77@sbcglobal.net or through his facebook account.
Muay Thai Authority Muay Thai and Kickboxing News Site

Bringing you the latest in Muay Thai and Kickboxing news.

No comments:

Post a Comment