Thursday, March 3, 2011

Josh Palmer talks upcoming Journey Fight Series tournament


Josh Palmer was kind enough to answer some questions for Muay Thai Authority regarding the upcoming Journey Fight Series 140lb tournament.

MTA: The tournament has a talented field of fighters, it is a also a random draw so you have no idea who you are fighting in the opening round until the day of the weigh-ins. Does not knowing who exactly you will be fighting affect your preparation at all for the tournament?

Josh: Not knowing makes it easier as there isn't much point in preparing for just one fight, we shall see when we get there and adjust according to who we get paired with. 


MTA: As far as the other competitors in the tournament is there anyone you would particularly like to face in the opening round of the tournament?

Josh: I don't have a preference really, I don't see much point in hoping that way and will fight whoever ends up standing in front of me(in the ring !) 

MTA: Your one of the more experienced fighters as far as pro competition, do you feel it gives you an advantage coming into the tourney?

Josh: My experience will help me for sure , I feel I am comfortable in the ring and want to be there.

MTA: Out of the 8 man field who would you consider the favorite to win the tournament?

Josh: Out of the 8 who do I think will win? If I didn't say me I wouldn't have any business being here.

MTA: There are four U.S. representatives, and four Canadian representatives, would you rather face one of your fellow countrymen or fight one of the American fighters first, and do you feel the crowd will be an advantage for the Canadian fighters?

Josh: I think it will be a good show and don't mind who I face, if anyone has the crowd behind them it will be the guys from Alberta though. Yes , if it is a Canadian v U.S. then I think the crowd will be behind the Canadian and this can help-crowd reaction can affect the judges decision for the round. 

MTA: Canada has some very talented fighters, how is the state of the sport in Canada, and how would you compare it to the United States?

Josh: I left to fight in Thailand for 3 years and it seems like Muay Thai competition and exposure has increased while I have been away, it was one of the reasons I left as I felt I wouldn't get enough experience if I stayed in North America.There are many more promotions in the U.S but generally I think fighters are not paid enough and it is very difficult to get by and call yourself a professional fighter (in Muay Thai).

MTA: It seems now everyone is eventually jumping ship to MMA, is MMA in your future?

Josh: If you want to fight regularly and make better money then you have to fight MMA, it is very difficult to make a living fighting Muay Thai and it is only going to work out for a few in MMA as it is. I am currently preparing for an MMA debut . 

MTA: Can you give a prediction as to the result of your first round fight, even though you have no clue who you are facing yet?

Josh: Any prediction would be foolish, but I am confident and eager to get things going. 

MTA: If you could meet anyone in the finals who would you pick to meet you there?

Josh: I would have thought Kevin Ross was strong to be in the finals, but he seems to be out now, so it will be interesting.
Muay Thai Authority Muay Thai and Kickboxing News Site

Bringing you the latest in Muay Thai and Kickboxing news.

No comments:

Post a Comment