Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Brett Hlavacek talks upcoming bout with Stephen Richards at The Warriors Cup XVI



Brett Hlavacek (@BrettxThreat) will be fighting Stephen Richards at The Warriors Cup XVI (@WarriorsCup) on November 3rd. Hlavacek and undefeated prospect will be looking to keep his perfect record in tact when he takes on Richards. The bout will be for the WBC Muay Thai Super Middleweight USA National Title. Brett was kind enough to take some time from his training schedule to answer a few questions about the upcoming fight for Muay Thai Authority.

MTA: Brett you have a big WBC National Title fight coming up against Stephen Richards, how familiar are you with him as a fighter?

Brett: I have seen Stephen fight a couple times many years ago when I was starting out. I know he also has some pro boxing fights under his belt and has been in the ring with some of the best.

MTA: As you progress through your pro career the fights get bigger and bigger, how does your training change if at all as you start taking on these bigger fights?

Brett: For the most part my training has been the same the past couple years. I'm constantly working on all of my weapons and techniques. If I know that my opponent favors one thing or technique we may spend more time working on that to make sure I am ready for it.

MTA: Stephen is a veteran and is known for being tough as nails. When you train do you specifically train to try and KO your opponent or is it one of those things where you rather implement strategy and if the KO happens it’s just a bonus?

Brett: I believe in implementing a good strategy and if the KO is there then you can take it. Some people get too eager to finish the fight and they will leave themselves open to their opponent and may get caught making a careless mistake.

MTA: The east coast has been making waves as of late with both Ognjen Topic and Andy Singh capturing WBC belts in the last two months. How important is it for you to bring the WBC belt home?

Brett: It means a lot to me. Once the WBC came to NJ my goal was to become a WBC champion. I had a great result in England for a WBC international challenge championship and since I won that I was offered an immediate national title shot. I want to show everybody that the east coast can compete on a national and international level in full rules Muay Thai. I watched both Ognjen and Andy both fight for their belts and it’s awesome to see them bring the titles back to the NJ and NY area.

MTA: You are good sized Super Middleweight, is that weight class the one you plan on staying at or is there any possibility that you might drop down one weight class as so many fighters do?

Brett: 168 has been my weight class for some time now and I feel like this is a good place for me. If anything I would consider moving up in weight but I'm at 168 for now.

MTA: You are 6-0 as a pro, how important is it for you to keep a zero in that loss column, and does it add any pressure?

Brett: There is no pressure at all. People in the US are so caught up in being undefeated. All of the best fighters have lost at some point. I have more respect for guys like Kevin Ross and Ky Hollenbeck for taking fights against the best in the world then some guy who is crushing cans for his entire career and is 60-0.

MTA: Not looking past Stephen at all, but is there anyone in the North American landscape that you would like to fight in the coming year?

Brett: I want to fight anybody who is ranked ahead of me. I feel like I’m ready for the next level of competition in my career and Stephen is the next step. I just want to test myself against the best and continue to improve the reputation of the United States in the Muay Thai world.

MTA: Any words for your supporters Brett?

Brett: Just want to thank all of my friends, family and fans who come out and support me. Big thanks to my team Phil Nurse, Mike Reno, Susan Reno, and my fiancée Kim. A very special thanks to the guys at Competitive Ace, the Namman Muay-thai liniment distributor for all of their help.
Muay Thai Authority Muay Thai and Kickboxing News Site

Bringing you the latest in Muay Thai and Kickboxing news.

No comments:

Post a Comment