Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Alex Berrios talks upcoming fight with Brett Hlavacek for Friday Night Fights


Alex Berrios and Brett Hlavacek will meet in the main event of this weekend's Friday Night Fights event. Berrios and Hlavacek are two of North America's best Super Middleweight/Light Heavyweight fighters. Both fighters are known for their technique and ability to finish fights and it should prove to be an exciting match up.

We were able to catch up with Alex Berrios and talk to him about his upcoming fight, as well as his training and more.

MTA: Big fight against Brett Hlavacek coming up, how is the training camp going?

Alex: Training is going great. Over the last year, training others I have looked at improving my fight training and applied it to this camp. I haven't felt so strong all the way through even the most grueling days.

MTA: Anything different being done this training camp as opposed to others?

Alex: Getting more sleep and nutrition (my girlfriend has been a lifesaver, often shopping preparing healthy meals for me.)

MTA: How familiar are you with Brett and what strengths do you think he brings to the fight?

Alex: I've watched some of Brett's fights and I got to say that we are a similar match up. I think he brings a good deal of fight knowledge and strategy to the ring.

MTA: If you had to pick your one biggest strength in the ring what would it be?

Alex: Smart fighting. Any knucklehead can run around swinging and kicking. As an engineer I want to bring efficiency and reflexive adaptability to my game. I like to fight deliberately.

MTA: Can we get a prediction for the fight?

Alex: I think you will see two guys who have a tremendous love for the sport and respect for each other having a great time in the ring. It will be a tough hard fight.

MTA: You are fighting at 168lbs now do you like it better than175?

Alex: Actually this fight is the other way around. I'm fighting at 175 according to my contract! haha. Anything between 170-175 suits me well, but as you know I usually fight above and below that.

MTA: If you could have any match up in the world who would you fight and why?

Alex: My dream fight would be to go to Thailand, train, and match up with a fighter (Thai or foreigner.)

MTA: Your day job is engineer, is difficult finding time to train and does anything from being a muay thai fighter help you in your day job?

Alex: I am a morning person, so the hardest part of fight training is finding training partners in the morning. Lucky for me, I rarely have a problem with that. I have more energy and productivity when I'm training hard. I think I get into a mindset of hard work and it permeates all the rest of what I do. I also train in the evening. I find that splitting time to hit pads, bag, conditioning in the morning and sparring clinching in the evening is a common and effective routine for me.

MTA: Thanks for the time Alex. Any words for your supporters?

Alex: Don't miss this fight. Every fight is huge for me and I always take this very seriously. I feel very strong appreciation for all the fight fans who attend and keep the sport thriving. Thanks everyone, especially those brothers and sisters in training!
Muay Thai Authority Muay Thai and Kickboxing News Site

Bringing you the latest in Muay Thai and Kickboxing news.

No comments:

Post a Comment