Thursday, May 22, 2014

Chris Mauceri talks Lion Fight 15 bout with Kevin Ross


On Friday May 23rd Chris Mauceri will easily have the biggest fight of his career. At Lion Fight 15 the young Nak Muay will look to defeat American fan favorite Kevin Ross and cement his name as one of the best up and coming Muay Thai fighters. We were able to catch up with Mauceri before his showdown with Ross and he was kind enough to answer a few questions regarding the upcoming fight.

MTA: You are fighting Kevin Ross at Lion Fight 15, what were your thoughts when you were first offered the fight?

Chris: When I was first offered the fight I was really excited. We had been told Lion Fight was looking to match a few different guys including Kevin Ross, and when they offered us the fight with Kevin we jumped on it.

MTA: Is there anything different did this training camp than other training camps?

Chris: Not planning to do anything different for this fight, just trying to train harder than ever.

MTA: How familiar are you with Kevin Ross?

Chris: I'm very familiar with Kevin Ross. He is one of my favorite fighters and I've watched as much of him as I could long before I ever knew we were fighting.

MTA: You are undefeated as a pro how important is it to you that you keep a zero in your loss column?

Chris: Being undefeated is nice, but the zero doesn't really matter to me at all. What is important to me is testing myself against the best guys I can, I want to see what I'm made of. I would sooner put it on the line against a guy like Kevin Ross than pad my record with easy fights and stay undefeated.

MTA: If you had to pick Kevin’s strength in the ring what would it be?

Chris: I would say his strength in the ring is his toughness. He's very well rounded and he's a guy who's always going to come forward and bring it no matter what.

MTA: If you had to pick Kevin’s weakness what would it be?

Chris: I don't think he has any huge weaknesses. I would say the clinch may be the weakest part of his game, but I don't think he likes to spend much time there anyway.

MTA: What do you think will be your biggest advantage in this fight?

Chris: I think my biggest advantage coming into this fight will be my confidence. I'm young and I'm excited to prove that I belong in there with guys like Kevin Ross and I'm gonna bring it to him.

MTA: Can we get a prediction for this fight?

Chris: My prediction for this fight is that it's gonna be the best fight of the night, and I'm coming home with the win.

MTA: Kevin said in an interview this fight is a lose lose for him and a win win for you, and that he only took the fight because he had no other option. What are your thoughts on that?

Chris: I can't disagree with him I guess he doesn't really have anything to gain beating someone like me and losing to me would be very bad. That being said although this fight could be considered a win win for me I don't look at it that way. To me Kevin Ross is just another opponent and a step up in competition. I want to find out if I am at that level and I believe I am. Although a loss might not hurt my reputation I would be extremely disappointed. I think he should be glad that someone wants to fight him. I'm sure there aren't many guys in the US who will step up and fight him. Even though I'm sure he would prefer and probably deserves a more well known opponents there's definitely something to be said for being able to stay active and get fights in our sport.

MTA: Any words for your supporters?

Chris: Thank you to all my family, friends, coaches and teammates and everyone else who supports me. Couldn’t do it without you guys.
Muay Thai Authority Muay Thai and Kickboxing News Site

Bringing you the latest in Muay Thai and Kickboxing news.

No comments:

Post a Comment